Text Analyzer #addonrequest

Dear List,

A particular feature which I have found quite useful in JAWS is the Text Analyzer, which checks for various errors including extra spaces, unmatched opening and closing symbols, font changes, ETC. and notifies the user so that they may fix the mistake. This feature would be immensely helpful for NVDA users, and I am therefore requesting an add-on which adds this functionality. The documentation describing the text analyzer is pasted below, fully describing how the functionality operates, its configuration options, ETC.

If any developer would be interested in creating this add-on, it would not only be appreciated by me, but also by many NVDA users who write often. Thank you for your time and interest.

Sincerely,

Noah

--Documentation starts here--

Text Analyzer Group

When editing a document using speech only, inconsistencies such as unmatched parentheses, unintentional format changes, extra whitespace, and stray or unspaced punctuation can often be missed. Text Analyzer is a tool that notifies you of these errors in your document by using a spoken message or WAV file. You can configure JAWS to announce discrepancies by count, by description, or by sound while proofreading the document by line, sentence, paragraph, or Say All command. Braille users will benefit from this since a sound can be emitted before the user has time to read the entire line looking for errors.

Turning On Text Analyzer

Text Analyzer is off by default. To turn it on, do one of the following:

  • Use the layered keystroke, INSERT+SPACEBAR, A. By pressing and releasing INSERT+SPACEBAR, and then pressing A, the Text Analyzer can be toggled on or off.
  • Open Settings Center (INSERT+F2). In the Search edit box type "text analyzer" without the quotes. Press DOWN ARROW to move to Text Analyzer in the filtered results. Press SPACEBAR to select an alert notification.
  • Use Quick Settings (INSERT+V). The process for selecting an alert notification is the same as the Settings Center procedure described above.

Keystrokes

If multiple issues are identified in the document, press ALT+WINDOWS Key+I to move to the next item, or ALT+SHIFT+WINDOWS Key+I to move to the previous item. Note that these keystrokes can still be used even if Text Analyzer is off.

Text Analyzer Options

Use the radio buttons in this group to determine the type of alert used to indicate errors when editing or proofreading a document by line, sentence, paragraph, or Say All command. Select Indicate with Sound to play a WAV file when a formatting error is detected. Select Speak Count to announce the number of inconsistencies in the current text. Select Describe Inconsistencies for a description of the error. The default setting is off.

Indicate Mismatched Symbols

Select this check box to enable the detection of mismatched symbols such as parenthesis, braces, brackets, angle brackets, and quotes. If this check box is cleared, the items in the Symbols to Check group are not available.

Symbols to Check

Select one or more check boxes to search for mismatched parentheses, braces, brackets, angle brackets, or quotes where the equivalent opening or closing symbol is missing. These check boxes are only available when the Indicate Mismatched Symbols check box is selected.

Inconsistencies to Check

Select one or more check boxes to identify inconsistencies with stray punctuation, extra spaces, missing capital letters, or inverted lowercase and uppercase text.

Font Changes to Check

Select one or more check boxes to identify incorrect font changes in the current text including name, size, attributes, and colors.

Ângelo Abrantes

Hi,

This addon is alread created:

NVDA global Extension

--
Cordiais Cumprimentos
Ângelo Abrantes, Equipa <Portuguesa do NVDA

Sem vírus. www.avast.com

René Linke

Hi,

but that add-on you referrd, that is very huge and very detailed. It has too many features in it, I wish that add-on would be split up in different smaller add-ons, though.

cheers,
René

Am 20.06.2022 um 18:19 schrieb Ângelo Abrantes:

[...]

Luke Davis

René Linke wrote:

but that add-on you referrd, that is very huge and very detailed. It has too many features in it, I wish that add-on would be split up in different smaller
add-ons, though.
You are not alone in thinking that Global Extension has too many different things going on in it to be practical. I don't even think of it when looking for an add-on, because even if it may have the feature I'm looking for, it is such a random collection of things that I don't necessarily want, with such complexity, that understanding everything about it and how it interacts with my other software is a time commitment I can't make.

Not to diminish the work that Paul put into it; I'm sure it is quite an accomplishment and solves many problems for many people. But if it were split into individual add-ons, or even category specific add-on collections, it would help many more people who are looking for specific things.

Does not the spellchecker spot most of these, It certainly does the lack of a space after a comma, or extra spaces, but maybe this is strict.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

A particular feature which I have found quite useful in JAWS is the Text Analyzer, which checks for various errors including extra spaces, unmatched opening and closing symbols, font changes, ETC. and notifies the user so that they may fix the mistake. This feature would be immensely helpful for NVDA users, and I am therefore requesting an add-on which adds this functionality. The documentation describing the text analyzer is pasted below, fully describing how the functionality operates, its configuration options, ETC.

If any developer would be interested in creating this add-on, it would not only be appreciated by me, but also by many NVDA users who write often. Thank you for your time and interest.

Sincerely,

Noah

--Documentation starts here--

*******************
Text Analyzer Group
*******************

When editing a document using speech only, inconsistencies such as
unmatched parentheses, unintentional format changes, extra whitespace, and
stray or unspaced punctuation can often be missed. Text Analyzer is a tool
that notifies you of these errors in your document by using a spoken
message or WAV file. You can configure JAWS to announce discrepancies by
count, by description, or by sound while proofreading the document by
line, sentence, paragraph, or Say All command. Braille users will benefit
from this since a sound can be emitted before the user has time to read
the entire line looking for errors.

------------------------
Turning On Text Analyzer
------------------------

Text Analyzer is off by default. To turn it on, do one of the following:

* Use the layered keystroke, *INSERT+SPACEBAR* , *A*. By pressing and
releasing *INSERT+SPACEBAR* , and then pressing *A* , the Text Analyzer can
be toggled on or off.
* Open Settings Center ( *INSERT+F2* ). In the Search edit box type "text
analyzer" without the quotes. Press *DOWN ARROW* to move to Text Analyzer
in the filtered results. Press *SPACEBAR* to select an alert notification.

* Use Quick Settings ( *INSERT+V* ). The process for selecting an alert
notification is the same as the Settings Center procedure described above.

----------
Keystrokes
----------

If multiple issues are identified in the document, press *ALT+WINDOWS
Key+I* to move to the next item, or *ALT+SHIFT+WINDOWS Key+I* to move to
the previous item. Note that these keystrokes can still be used even if
Text Analyzer is off.

---------------------
Text Analyzer Options
---------------------

---------------------------
Indicate Mismatched Symbols
---------------------------

Select this check box to enable the detection of mismatched symbols such
as parenthesis, braces, brackets, angle brackets, and quotes. If this
check box is cleared, the items in the Symbols to Check group are not
available.

----------------
Symbols to Check
----------------

Select one or more check boxes to search for mismatched parentheses,
braces, brackets, angle brackets, or quotes where the equivalent opening
or closing symbol is missing. These check boxes are only available when
the Indicate Mismatched Symbols check box is selected.

------------------------
Inconsistencies to Check
------------------------

Select one or more check boxes to identify inconsistencies with stray
punctuation, extra spaces, missing capital letters, or inverted lowercase
and uppercase text.

---------------------
Font Changes to Check
---------------------

Select one or more check boxes to identify incorrect font changes in the
current text including name, size, attributes, and colors.

Brian's Mail list account

Seconded by me. It needs a bit of housekeeping and logical layering of the options into different property sheets and also the ability to turn on and off the category as a whole. It will need some thought and testing by users though, as you are never going to please everyone whichever way you choose to separate the options. Brian

[...]

Do you have a direct link?

[...]

Dear Mr. Abrantes,

Thank you for your response.

I was not aware that this feature was available as part of the NVDA global commands extension add-on because this add-on is not listed in the repository and is thus hard to find without a Google search. Additionally, this add-on has quite a large set of functions which I am not looking for. I am simply interested in a "text analyzer" add-on which would be accepted by the NVDA add-ons community, which is why I sent my original e-mail.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Noah

J.G

Hello,

yes, the global plugin extention (GPE) has many functions, but user can turn off all of them, which he or she doesn't need.
so quick solution could be instalation of GPE and exclusion of features, which you don't need from this addon.

best regards,
Jožef