SearchWith #addonreview

Ibrahim Hamadeh

Hello all
I think Search with plugin is ready for review.
This addon helps you to search text, via various search engines.
Let no text selected, and press the gesture of the addon
A dialog will be displayed, with an edit box to enter a search query
To search with Google press enter, or tab to search with other engines.
Or
select some text and press once, a menu will be displayed with various search engines to choose from.
And while text is selected, you can press the gesture twice to search with Google directly.
Moreover, you can configure the menu from the setting panel, to fit to your likes and needs.
The Default gesture for the addon is: NVDA+ Windows+ S.
download link:
https://github.com/ibrahim-s/searchWith/releases/download/v0.7/searchWith-0.7.nvda-addon
repo is at:
https://github.com/ibrahim-s/searchWith
Thanks to all who participating in getting this addon to life, from asking about the search feature, till last moment.
regards
ibrahim

Rowen Cary

Hi Ibrahim Hamadeh,

Congratulations, this is great, let us look forward to seeing it on the add-ons website.

Ibrahim Hamadeh

Hi Rowen
Well, we hope so after review
and thank you specially, for your follow up and help
regards
ibrahim

On 7/26/2021 7:52 AM, Rowen Cary wrote:

Hi Ibrahim Hamadeh,

Congratulations, this is great, let us look forward to seeing it on the add-ons website.

Ângelo Abrantes

Here's the add-on translated to pt_PT and pt_BR:

https://meocloud.pt/link/2f6908dc-95ff-4bce-9394-c4dcc900b60a/searchWith_0.7_Gen.nvda-addon/

Ângelo Abrantes, NVDA's portuguese team.

--
Cordiais Cumprimentos
Ângelo Abrantes, Equipa <Portuguesa do NVDA

Hello!

Here it is my first review...

License and copyright:: Pass

Documentation: Pass with comments

Security: pass
User experience: Pass with comments

Here the comments:

User experience:

I recommend another keystroke instead of NVDA+Windows+S, since some users of portuguese language community report that the command do not work if it is made with CapsLock...

It is not a serious problem since it is easy to change the keystroke...

2 - Documentation:

Some tipos in Readme.md

In end of line 21 and begin of line 22 the word "want" is duplicated;

In line 27 is "Anothr" instead of "Another";

Lines 28, 29, 32 and 33 should not start with a *;

Line 38 have "permanant" instead of "permanent";

3 - The add-on code is totally ready to be translated, but it is missing the locale folder and the pot file to simplify the work of translators...

As you should have notticed, my partner, Ângelo, has already sent a portuguese translated version...

Best regards,

Rui Fontes
NVDA portuguese team

[...]

Cyrille

‌Hello

@Rui, @Ângelo:
Just a remark regarding the point 3.
ibrahim's intention was to have his add-on integrate the translation framework (cf. http://nvda-addons.groups.io/g/nvda-addons/message/16317‌).
Since the review is quite good (just little fixes recommended), the add-on will probably be released very soon on the website and thus will be able to request its inclusion in the translation framework.
So IMO, there is no point sending privately translations via PRs or files or preparing the folders that will anyway be created by the translation framework.

Cheers,

Cyrille

I recommend another keystroke instead of NVDA+Windows+S, since some
users of portuguese language community report that the command do not
work if it is made with CapsLock...

It is not a serious problem since it is easy to change the keystroke...

2 - Documentation:

Some tipos in Readme.md

In end of line 21 and begin of line 22 the word "want" is duplicated;

In line 27 is "Anothr" instead of "Another";

Lines 28, 29, 32 and 33 should not start with a *;

Line 38 have "permanant" instead of "permanent";

3 - The add-on code is totally ready to be translated, but it is missing
the locale folder and the pot file to simplify the work of translators...

As you should have notticed, my partner, Ângelo, has already sent a
portuguese translated version...

Best regards,

Rui Fontes
NVDA portuguese team

Às 18:08 de 25/07/2021, Ibrahim Hamadeh escreveu:
> Hello all
> I think Search with plugin is ready for review.
> This addon helps you to search text, via various search engines.
> Let no text selected, and press the gesture of the addon
> A dialog will be displayed, with an edit box to enter a search query
> To search with Google press enter, or tab to search with other engines.
> Or
> select some text and press once, a menu will be displayed with various
> search engines to choose from.
> And while text is selected, you can press the gesture twice to search
> with Google directly.
> Moreover, you can configure the menu from the setting panel, to fit to
> your likes and needs.
> The Default gesture for the addon is: NVDA+ Windows+ S.
> download link:
> https://github.com/ibrahim-s/searchWith/releases/download/v0.7/searchWith-0.7.nvda-addon
>
> repo is at:
> https://github.com/ibrahim-s/searchWith
> Thanks to all who participating in getting this addon to life, from
> asking about the search feature, till last moment.
> regards
> ibrahim

Ibrahim Hamadeh

Hello Rui
first, thank you much for reviewing the addon
I appreciate that very much
well, replying to your comments
you said:
I recommend another keystroke instead of NVDA+Windows+S, since some users of portuguese language community report that the command do not work if it is made with CapsLock...
you know that I have changed the addon gesture previously, and you did not suggest another specific gesture, I am not sure what is the best gesture to be used, so until then I will leave it as it is, until a better one is really present.
you said
Some tipos in Readme.md
OK,I will address all those typos and fix them.
you said
3 - The add-on code is totally ready to be translated, but it is missing the locale folder and the pot file to simplify the work of translators...
well, I did not know that these things were recommended
I will add the locale folder
but I think it will not show up in the repo, because it will be an empty folder.
even the pot file, is it really recommended to be in the repo?
I really don't think so, and if I remember the .pot extension is present in gitignore file,and if it is, it will not show up also in the repo, but I will see that.
I surely thank Ângelo for his translation.
best regards
ibrahim
and thanks again Rui for giving time to review the addon

On 7/26/2021 5:35 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:
[...]

.

Ângelo Abrantes

Hi,

Do you know why I sent the translation?
I did it for two reasons:
1. Because, unfortunately, I am accustomed to wait and not get results.
2. Because the add-on has already been made available to the Portuguese NVDA community because it is performing the functions so that it was created and will be very useful.

Thanks.

Ângelo Abrantes, NVDA portuguese team.

--
Cordiais Cumprimentos
Ângelo Abrantes, Equipa <Portuguesa do NVDA

Avast logo

Fabiano Fonseca

Thanks Ângelo!

Em 26/07/2021 08:07, Ângelo Abrantes escreveu:

[...]

I have forgotten:
You write:
I recommend another keystroke instead of NVDA+Windows+S, since some
users of portuguese language community report that the command do not
work if it is made with CapsLock...
It is very strange. I imagine that this shortcut issue is not specific to this add-on. Do you have more details on what is causing this issue.
Whatever is the final decision of Ibrahim for this shortcut, I advise to report it directly to NVDA, if not already. This will allow to investigate it.

Cheers,

Cyrille

[...]

No... Or better, I have more details, but they only serve to make it less understable...

I use a laptop with a USB keyboard connected.

In the laptop keyboard the keystroke works. In the USB keyboard don't work...

Rui Fontes

Às 21:00 de 26/07/2021, Cyrille via groups.io escreveu:

Hello Rui

I have forgotten:
You write:
[...]

Hello Ibrahim,

You wrote:

you know that I have changed the addon gesture previously, and you did not suggest another specific gesture, I am not sure what is the best gesture to be used, so until then I will leave it as it is, until a better one is really present.

It is very wise, since as I replied to Cyrille, it works on some keyboards and do not work on others...

And the user can change it, if necessary...

You wrote:

 not know that these things were recommended
I will add the locale folder
but I think it will not show up in the repo, because it will be an empty folder.
even the pot file, is it really recommended to be in the repo?

What I do is:

1 - Create the POT file;

2 - Create the locale folder;

3 - Create an en folder inside it;

4 - Create a LC_MESSAGES folder inside;

5 - Create a nvda.po inside;

6 - The nvda.po is created with POEdit, using the option New from a POT file present in the File menu;

Rui Fontes

Cyrille

Hello Rui

OK Thanks.

It's up to you if you consider this issue may be directly linked to NVDA and its add-ons or not. If yes, open an issue against NVDA and it may be investigated further, e.g. with a log.

Cheers,

Cyrille

No... Or better, I have more details, but they only serve to make it
less understable...

I use a laptop with a USB keyboard connected.

In the laptop keyboard the keystroke works. In the USB keyboard don't
work...

Rui Fontes

Às 21:00 de 26/07/2021, Cyrille via groups.io escreveu:
> Hello Rui
>
> I have forgotten:
> You write:
>> I recommend another keystroke instead of NVDA+Windows+S, since some
>> users of portuguese language community report that the command do not
>> work if it is made with CapsLock...
> It is very strange. I imagine that this shortcut issue is not specific to this add-on. Do you have more details on what is causing this issue.
> Whatever is the final decision of Ibrahim for this shortcut, I advise to report it directly to NVDA, if not already. This will allow to investigate it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cyrille

Rui Fontes

Cyrille, considering that in the same machine, with the integrated laptop keyboard I see in log:

Input help: gesture kb(desktop):windows+NVDA+s, bound to script searchWith on globalPlugins.searchWith.GlobalPlugin
and with the USB keyboard I see:

Input help: gesture kb(desktop):windows+NVDA

everybody will say, "the problem is from USB keyboard, not from NVDA..."

however, even with the USB keyboard, I can do CapsLock+Windows+almost any other letter...

For me, it is one of the computer issue without a solid explanation...

Unfortunatly, I only found this strange behaviour after making the review...

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 07:11 de 27/07/2021, Cyrille via groups.io escreveu:

Hello Rui

OK Thanks.

It's up to you if you consider this issue may be directly linked to NVDA and its add-ons or not. If yes, open an issue against NVDA and it may be investigated further, e.g. with a log.

Cheers,

Cyrille

No... Or better, I have more details, but they only serve to make it
less understable...

I use a laptop with a USB keyboard connected.

In the laptop keyboard the keystroke works. In the USB keyboard don't
work...

Rui Fontes

Às 21:00 de 26/07/2021, Cyrille via groups.io escreveu:
> Hello Rui
>
> I have forgotten:
> You write:
>> I recommend another keystroke instead of NVDA+Windows+S, since some
>> users of portuguese language community report that the command do not
>> work if it is made with CapsLock...
> It is very strange. I imagine that this shortcut issue is not specific to this add-on. Do you have more details on what is causing this issue.
> Whatever is the final decision of Ibrahim for this shortcut, I advise to report it directly to NVDA, if not already. This will allow to investigate it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cyrille

Ibrahim Hamadeh

Hello Rui
-I have changed the gesture to NVDA+Alt+S
for really ,I feel the problem is in the combination of Caps lock and Windows
hope it functions without problems.
if the problem persist, we may change it to Control+Shift+S
though I think this gesture is used some where, no idea.
-Regarding typos in readme
I think ,I have addressed and fixed them all.
and thank you really, for it is a big effort to review and come out with these typos.
Hope the documentation now is OK.
-And about the locale folder and pot file
I have followed the steps you described
make locale /en/LC_MESSAGES/nvda.po
it is now present in this structure in remote repo.
download link for version 0.8:
https://github.com/ibrahim-s/searchWith/releases/download/v0.8/searchWith-0.8.nvda-addon
and always ready for any changes, no problem.
Thank you Rui for your efforts with me
best regards
ibrahim

On 7/27/2021 2:51 AM, Rui Fontes wrote:
Hello Ibrahim,

You wrote:

 not know that these things were recommended
I will add the locale folder
but I think it will not show up in the repo, because it will be an empty folder.
even the pot file, is it really recommended to be in the repo?

What I do is:

1 - Create the POT file;

2 - Create the locale folder;

3 - Create an en folder inside it;

4 - Create a LC_MESSAGES folder inside;

5 - Create a nvda.po inside;

6 - The nvda.po is created with POEdit, using the option New from a POT file present in the File menu;

Rui Fontes

.

Rowen Cary

Hi, Ibrahim,

Thank you for your work, this is great.

However, NVDA+Alt+S has been used by the SentenceNav add-on.

wish you happiness

Rowen

在 2021/7/28 0:58, Ibrahim Hamadeh 写道:

You wrote:

 not know that these things were recommended
I will add the locale folder
but I think it will not show up in the repo, because it will be an empty folder.
even the pot file, is it really recommended to be in the repo?

What I do is:

1 - Create the POT file;

2 - Create the locale folder;

3 - Create an en folder inside it;

4 - Create a LC_MESSAGES folder inside;

5 - Create a nvda.po inside;

6 - The nvda.po is created with POEdit, using the option New from a POT file present in the File menu;

Rui Fontes

.

Alberto Buffolino

Rowen Cary, il 27/07/2021 19.26, ha scritto:
However, NVDA+Alt+S has been used by the SentenceNav add-on.
Alberto:
Hi,
I not tested the add-on yet, even if it sounds very interesting.
But I think that if the gesture is customizable, and default is reported in documentation, then searching an available gesture is quite useless, and potentially without result, more and more due to the add-on number growing.
Just my opinion, of course.
Alberto

Andre Fisher

Yes, I think the gesture can remain as NVDA+Alt+S, as persons will be able to change it.

Rui Fontes

I think that is better keep NVDA+Windows+S and include in documentation a note alerting users to the possibility of faillure of the keystroke, like this:

The Default gesture for the addon is: NVDA+ Windows+ S.
If the keystroke do not work for you, or conflict with other keystroke, you can as always add a gesture or change the existent one going to :
NVDA menu>preferences>inputGestures>Search With category.

What do you think?

Rui Fontes

You wrote:

 not know that these things were recommended
I will add the locale folder
but I think it will not show up in the repo, because it will be an empty folder.
even the pot file, is it really recommended to be in the repo?

What I do is:

1 - Create the POT file;

2 - Create the locale folder;

3 - Create an en folder inside it;

4 - Create a LC_MESSAGES folder inside;

5 - Create a nvda.po inside;

6 - The nvda.po is created with POEdit, using the option New from a POT file present in the File menu;

Rui Fontes

.

Locutor Antonio Cezar

Hello, Ibrahim. It was only lacking to include in the package the translations for Portuguese that were prepared by the companion Ângelo, and that they were in a package sent by it here in the list. No more, it's very good and I thank you very much for your contribution to the NVDA community... Thank you.

Locutor Antonio Cezar