Topics

Audacity 3.1 add-on for review

bering.p

Hello to all,
I suggest you review the add-on for audacity that Ive developed and updated for compatibility with Audacity v2.2.1.
This is the link:
audacity-3.1.nvda-addon

And the github repository:

https://github.com/paulber007/AudacityNVDAAddon

Thank you for your comments and advice.
Forgive me for my very bad English.
Cheers.

Paul.

--

Abdel

Hi Paul,

thanks for this add-on.

I think it'll be very useful to users of this famous audio editing software.

We currently have 2 add-ons for audio editing software: "goldWave, mp3DirectCut".

I'm very happy to see that we have a third now.

I think Robert had also created an add-on for Audacity.

Here is my review:

* License and copyright: pass.

  • * Security: pass.
  • * User experience: pass with comments.

Comments:

1. * According to the guidelines, an add-on name should not include the word NVDA:

Addon name should not contain "nvda", "plugin", "appmodule", "globalPlugin" as part of its name

https://github.com/nvdaaddons/nvdaaddons.github.io/wiki/guideLines

2. * At the root of the repository, the following files can be deleted:

  • clean.bat
  • makeAddon.bat
  • makePotFile.bat
  • makeReadmeMDFile.bat

3. * It might be better to use a dictionary for configuration.
I too was hesitant about this, but Joseph and Noelia confirmed that it was better to do it.

4. There are lines in the code that contain tabs only, it would be best to clean them.

I will be very happy to see this add-on in our community site very soon.

Abdel.

Le 12/01/2018 à 19:09, bering.p a écrit :
Hello to all,
I suggest you review the add-on for audacity that Ive developed and updated for compatibility with Audacity v2.2.1.
This is the link:
audacity-3.1.nvda-addon

And the github repository:

https://github.com/paulber007/AudacityNVDAAddon

Thank you for your comments and advice.
Forgive me for my very bad English.
Cheers.

Paul.
--

bering.p

Hi,
Thank Abdel for your review.
I need some explanations:

1. * According to the guidelines, an add-on name should not include the
word NVDA:
The name of the add-on is"Audacity" as indicated in buildvars.py:by:
     "addon_name" : "audacity",

2. * At the root of the repository, the following files can be deleted:
Is it realy necessary?
If yes, i dont inderstand this.
Readme.bat is necessary to create the readme repository file from
buildvars.py and the other is facilities for me
3. * It might be better to use a dictionary for configuration.
Do you mean that I canot use a ini file for configuration?
4. There are lines in the code that contain tabs only, it would be best
to clean them.
No problem. I must check all the code to find them. Just some time to pass.

Cheers

Paul.

Paul.
Le 13/01/2018 00:27, Abdel a écrit :

[...]

Robert Hänggi

Hi Paul

Just add *.bat to the git ignore file and it won't be pushed to GitHub.

Cheers
Robert

On 13/01/2018, bering.p <bering.p@...> wrote:
*Hi,
Thank Abdel for your review.
I need some explanations:

<https://rawgit.com/paulber007/AllMyNVDAAddons/master/audacity/audacity-3.1.nvda-addon>

And the github repository:

https://github.com/paulber007/AudacityNVDAAddon

Thank you for your comments and advice.
Forgive me for my very bad English.
Cheers.

Paul.
--

Abdel

Hi Paul,

1. * According to the guidelines, an add-on name should not include the word NVDA:
The name of the add-on is"Audacity" as indicated in buildvars.py:by:
     "addon_name" : "audacity",

Yes,, it's only the name of the repository that includes the word NVDA.

However, the name of the repository is often the same as that of the add-on, it's probably better.

2. * At the root of the repository, the following files can be deleted:
Is it realy necessary?
If yes, i dont inderstand this.
Readme.bat is necessary to create the readme repository file from
buildvars.py and the other is facilities for me
Yes Paul, but the user who will clone the add-on will not necessarily need these tools, he can create his own.

For example, you could put a 'buildInstructions.txt' file, just like in the add-on stationPlaylist repository.

You can also use the procedure described by Robert to ignore their addition to the repository.

It's not an obligation of course.

3. * It might be better to use a dictionary for configuration.
Do you mean that I canot use a ini file for configuration?

No, you can of course generate an ini file independent of the main configuration of NVDA.

However, the dictionary is much simpler and has some advantages.

They are used for example in the add-on clipContentsDesigner, Noelia always advised me to use them.

@Noelia :

You can give us additional information about this if you want.

Abdel.

El 13/01/2018 a las 23:35, Abdel escribió:
you can of course generate an ini file independent of the main configuration of NVDA. However, the dictionary is much simpler and has some advantages. They are used for example in the add-on clipContentsDesigner, Noelia always advised me to use them. @Noelia : You can give us additional information about this if you want.
Here is the opinion writen by Jamie in a discussion about an add-on review:

On 16/5/16, James Teh wrote:
There's already a common place for configuration to be stored which is config.conf. It supports sections, validation, configuration profiles, etc. Most add-ons should be writing to NVDA's central config; there's rarely a good reason to use one's own ConfigObj.
This is also reflected in the add-ons guidelines (see suggestion 6).

When the add-on is removed, the settings are not deleted and it could seem dirty, but they wouldn't be extra files and other settings, like dictionaries for specific synthesizers or customized gestures are also saved in NVDA if they aren't deleted voluntarily.
So when the add-on is updated, its settings (even if profiles with different options for different situations) could be re-used without extra files.
As Abdel said, add-ons like clipContentsDesigner and others use this, as discussed with reviewers as Derek or Joseph too.
Thanks

[...]

Thank Noelia and Abdel.
But I chose to store the module configuration in a configuration file for it to be the same regardless of the configuration profiles.
If it uses config.conf, the configuration is store only for the current configuration profile.
Am I wrong?
For example, with the module dayOfTheWeek, if there are two configuration profiles and you change an option under a profile, this option is not changed in the other profile.
I think I have no choice.
Cheers.
Paul.

On 16/5/16, James Teh wrote:

[...]

Correct. Whatever the active profile is, that’ll be used. There is a way to tell NVDA’s configuration manager to treat a section as base only, meaning that it’ll not change across profile switches.

On 16/5/16, James Teh wrote:

[...]

Hi Abdel,

However, the name of the repository is often the same as that of the
add-on, it's probably better.
I don't think like you.
I think the name of the repository must indicate that it is an add-on for NVDA, because if I give him the name Audacity, one could think that it is the repository of the source code for Audacity for example.

but the user who will clone the add-on will not necessarily
need these tools, he can create his own.
Yes, but if I clone the repository, I want to find this files.
Cheers.

Paul.

Le 13/01/2018 23:35, Abdel a écrit :
Hi Paul,

[...]

You're correct, but if you look at Joseph's goldwave addon, for example, you'll see that the name of the add-on is pretty much the same as the repository name.

You can keep the current name of your repo if you prefer.

but the user who will clone the add-on will not necessarily need these tools, he can create his own.

Yes, but if I clone  the repository, I want to find this files.

Also, you can keep these files in the repo, it was just a suggestion, as these files are for personal use.

Abdel.

Le 14/01/2018 à 08:05, bering.p a écrit :
Hi Abdel,

[...]

Hi, if you store the settings in config.conf as done in add-ons as clipContentsDesigner, emoticons and so on, users can, just if they want, choose different settings for different situations. But you can specify a default option that will be applied if users don't change the configuration, and if they change it when the normal configuration is active, and they don't change the add-on settins after activating a configuration profile, the settings will be applied regardles of the profile activated by the user.
As I haven't reviewd your add-on, let's look at clipContentsDesigner mentioned by Abdel:
confspec = {
"separator": "string(default="")",
"addTextBefore": "boolean(default=False)",
"confirmToAdd": "boolean(default=False)",
"confirmToClear": "boolean(default=False)",
"confirmToCopy": "boolean(default=False)",
"confirmToCut": "boolean(default=False)",
"requireTextForConfirmation": "boolean(default=True)",
}
config.conf.spec["clipContentsDesigner"] = confspec
This creates a section that, just if the users want, provides the option to change settings in different profiles; but users can choose just to change settings applicable regardless of the profile, changing them when the normal configuration is active.

You can install this add-on or other ones like emoticons and play with it.

Thanks

Hi,
On 16/5/16, James Teh wrote:
[...]
On 13/01/2018, bering.p<bering.p@...> <mailto:bering.p@...> wrote:
*Hi,
Thank Abdel for your review.
I need some explanations:
[...]

El 14/01/2018 a las 8:42, Abdel escribió:

This is optional, but I agree with Abdel: You can describe and add topics to your repo using GitHub. Also, we can choose to clone repos in specific local folders so we don't get confused with names.
Anyway, if you choose to manage the add-on translations through our automated system, we will have to create a repo on Bitbucket, in the add-on team account, and we could rename the repo for simplicity, congruence with other names and to ensure that we wont get errors on the server when your add-on is registered to be translated providing automatically po files to NVDA translators.
I don't think that including NVDA in the name produces errors, but I don't know the Mesar's system deeply, and I think it's easy for us that names are similar, especially because we are used to register different add-ons and it could be easier.

Thanks
[...]

Hi Noelia and all,

I think it would be nice to add Paul in the nvdaaddons team on GitHub if he wants of course.

His add-ons are excellent and he knows the rules used in the NVDA core.

Abdel.

Le 14/01/2018 à 09:25, Noelia Ruiz a écrit :
[...]

My biggest concern is the app module folder structure. What if a program named audacityPackage.exe comes along? That's unlikely, but we might as well keep this possibility handy. For this reason, I suggest (or rather, advise) changing the folder structure for the app module. For an example, take a look at how I organize SPL Studio app module folder structure.
The other thing is that the add-on fails to compile via WSL/Bash. At least it compiles with PowerShell and Command Prompt with help from copying SCons and other tools from various places. Part of the problem might have to do with wrong assumptions: that only the author can compile the add-on, or one should use Windows utilities all the way. I'm sorry to say that both are wrong. Without telling people as to how the build the add-on (with specific instructions and tools to use), folks will assume that they can use whatever tools they are familiar (and comfortable) with unless the build toolchain requires an OS-specific tool, in which case a note must be posted somewhere.

[...]

buildvars.py and the other is facilities for me 3. * It might be
[...]

Hi, we can invite Paul to join the NVDA addd-ons organization on GitHub, thought it is just used for documentation and other possible tools, not to store addd-ons. I am not an admin of the Bitbucket add-on team, which is used to store repos needed to manage the corresponding add-ons with the NVDA translations system.
Joseph and myself are admins of the addonFiles stored on BitBucket, used to redirect links to download add-ons and automatic task regarding to the translation system. In sort, I can create repos for his add-ons if he wants them to be translated using our system, and then give him admin access just for these repos and write access to addonFiles, so that he can use the same link to provide access to different versions of his addons, when you decide to post them to our website.
Thanks

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 14 ene 2018, a las 10:42, Joseph Lee <@joslee> escribió:

Hi,
[...]

Thank you Joseph for these important notes.

I would also like to have your opinion, as you're a confirmed contributor, in relation to the name of the GitHub repo of the add-on.

In almost all your add-on repos for appModules, you take the same name as the add-on.

Is there a right to use the same name as the software for the name of the add-on repo?

I say that because I myself have an add-on for the mp3DirectCut application, would it have been better to choose mp3DirectCutNvda for example to distinguish the repo from that of the original program?

Abdel.

Le 14/01/2018 à 10:42, Joseph Lee a écrit :
Hi,
[...]

Ultimately, it is up to the add-on author to name the repo whatever he or she wishes. For mine, the repo names come from add-on ID's (identifiers), and I choose repo names carefully. Even for GoldWave, for example, it is named for the program I'm writing the app module for. For add-ons for app modules, I always denote that this is an NVDA add-on through repo description text.

[...]

from buildvars.py and the other is facilities for me 3. * It

/
audacity-3.1.nvda-addon>

And the github repository:

https://github.com/paulber007/AudacityNVDAAddon

Thank you for your comments and advice.
Forgive me for my very bad English.
Cheers.

Paul.
--

bering.p

Hi,
Thank Joseph for yours comments.
But Sorry , I don't understand where is the problem, apart from the name of the folder "audacityPackage".
I looked at the folder structure appModules module spl and it seems to resemble that of the module, Audacity.
Can I have more details?

For the compilation of the module, it is even more unclear.
I don't know "wsl/bash" and did not know that you could use it to compile the module.
Batch commands  obviously are windows commands and are there for me to avoid to open each time, a command prompt .
But it is not mandatory to compile the add-on.
All the rest comes from the add-on template.
The module compiles always with the command scons, which is installed in python.
I don't understand why you're talking about the copy of scons.
The compilation of the add-on uses only the tools recommended by the add-on template.
you're right, an explanatory note would be very useful to explain the use of these commands.
Thank and sorry for my bad english.
Cheers.

Paul.
Le 14/01/2018 10:42, Joseph Lee a écrit :

Hi,
[...]

Hi Noelia,
Thank you for everything.
But all this is really too complicated for me.
I just want to limit myself to manage my repository .
If someone wants to use it to translate into other languages, it is well come .
But I don't want to deal with it.
Cheers.

Paul.

Le 14/01/2018 10:55, Noelia Ruiz a écrit :
[...]

Adriani Botez

I personally think we should simplify the translation process. Or at least to name two or three persons who have rights to create and manage translations including language packs and so on.

Best
Adriani

Von meinem iPhone gesendet