Topics

NVDA Add-on development Guide: 2020.2 edition in progress

Hi,
I'm not going to remove table of contents - I need it in order to insert new
section entries, as the biggest thing will be script decorator examples.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io>
On Behalf Of Luke Davis
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2020 12:32 PM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] NVDA Add-on development Guide: 2020.2 edition in
progress

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020, Jim Homme wrote:

still ramping up, but as long as I don?t interfere too much, I?d be
happy to contribute. Is the best way to fork the repo and submit pull
requests or is
You can not fork or do pull requests on a GitHub wiki.

You can only edit it in place through the website (be careful of file names:

GitHub likes to change spaces to dashes in that context), or by acquiring
permissions sufficient to do it from git directly.

Also, unless Joseph is going to remove it in the rewrite he is doing, be
careful of the table of contents. Either generate a new one via the script
based method described in the guide's HTML comment (at the top), or manually
make changes to the TOC as necessary.

Luke

Luke Davis

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020, Jim Homme wrote:

still ramping up, but as long as I don’t interfere too much, I’d be happy to contribute. Is the best way to fork the repo and submit pull requests or is
You can not fork or do pull requests on a GitHub wiki.

You can only edit it in place through the website (be careful of file names: GitHub likes to change spaces to dashes in that context), or by acquiring permissions sufficient to do it from git directly.

Also, unless Joseph is going to remove it in the rewrite he is doing, be careful of the table of contents. Either generate a new one via the script based method described in the guide's HTML comment (at the top), or manually make changes to the TOC as necessary.

Luke

Hi,

I’ll commit the changes today, at which point I think it would be best to edit the wiki directly.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Homme
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2020 8:26 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] NVDA Add-on development Guide: 2020.2 edition in progress

Hi,

Are you looking for contributors to this effort? If so, I can contribute English usage updates. I hesitate to work on code, because my Python skills are still ramping up, but as long as I don’t interfere too much, I’d be happy to contribute. Is the best way to fork the repo and submit pull requests or is some other way better?

Thanks.

Jim H

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee via groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 6:25 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] NVDA Add-on development Guide: 2020.2 edition in progress

Hi,

You can make your add-ons forward compatible with changes in Python 3.8 (the biggest change in 3.8 is the walrus operator (:=) or assignment expression). But since NVDA is written in Python 3.7, Python 3.7 code must be used.

Also, another thing I forgot to announce: going forward, unless otherwise noted, add-on development guide will use script decorator whenever script examples are shown.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jaffar Sidek
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 2:37 PM

Joseph.  Will python versions beyond 3.78 make a difference?  I have version 3.83 32 bit download and am

using it right now as my development version.    n 18/7/2020 5:06 am, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hello all,

NVDA Add-on Development Guide 2020.2 edition is in progress, hopefully to be published next week. As we are beyond Python 3 transition, the guide will see some important changes as a result. The current dev guide can be found at:

https://github.com/nvdaaddons/DevGuide/wiki/NVDA-Add-on-Development-Guide

Changes:

• Strictly Python 3 code.
  • Link to download Python 2 will be removed with a note that the community recommends using Python 3 in production environments.
  • Python 3.7.8 download link will be added, replacing 3.7.7.
  • SCons version will be 3.1.2 or later.
  • Git version will be 2.25.0 or later.
  • Script decorator example will be added.
  • Changes as requested by the community.

Cheers,

Joseph

Jim Homme

Hi,

Are you looking for contributors to this effort? If so, I can contribute English usage updates. I hesitate to work on code, because my Python skills are still ramping up, but as long as I don’t interfere too much, I’d be happy to contribute. Is the best way to fork the repo and submit pull requests or is some other way better?

Thanks.

Jim H

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee via groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 6:25 PM

Hi,

You can make your add-ons forward compatible with changes in Python 3.8 (the biggest change in 3.8 is the walrus operator (:=) or assignment expression). But since NVDA is written in Python 3.7, Python 3.7 code must be used.

Also, another thing I forgot to announce: going forward, unless otherwise noted, add-on development guide will use script decorator whenever script examples are shown.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jaffar Sidek

Joseph.  Will python versions beyond 3.78 make a difference?  I have version 3.83 32 bit download and am

using it right now as my development version.    n 18/7/2020 5:06 am, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hello all,

NVDA Add-on Development Guide 2020.2 edition is in progress, hopefully to be published next week. As we are beyond Python 3 transition, the guide will see some important changes as a result. The current dev guide can be found at:

Changes:

• Link to download Python 2 will be removed with a note that the community recommends using Python 3 in production environments.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Hello all,

Changes:

Cheers,

Joseph

Jaffar Sidek

Hello all,

Changes:

Cheers,

Joseph

Hello all,

Changes:

Cheers,

Joseph