Updates to NV Access add-ons OCR, NVSpeechPlayer and AudioScreen

Quentin Christensen

NV Access has updated our OCR, NVSpeechPlayer and AudioScreen add-ons, and we'd like to have them updated and uploaded on the official add-ons page please.

OCR: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-ocr/
This is an update to the add-on at https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/ocr.en.html  If anyone uses this add-on and would like to take over maintaining the OCR add-on, please get in touch.
We currently have a page for this add-on at: https://www.nvaccess.org/audioScreen/  Happy to copy all the info across to the add-ons site, I just figured it was more concise to point to the existing description for the purpose of this email.

I haven't submitted any add-ons on behalf of us previously, so do please let me know if I need to do anything else or if I've done anything wrong.

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Hi,

I’ll update the compatibility list and the add-on files repo for OCR.

[...]

Thanks Joseph!  Much appreciated - let me know if you need anything.

Quentin.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 9:42 AM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

Ján Kulik

Hi

I'm on the GytHubs page, but I don't see NVSpeech here as an installer, I only see the source code here, but I don't know those codes.

Ján Kulik

--
Ján Kulik

Quentin Christensen

Hi Ján,

That's why we're getting them up on the main add-ons site, to make them easier to find :)

You can also download NV Speech Player directly from: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda-addons/nvSpeechPlayer_2020.1.nvda-addon

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 9:51 AM Ján Kulik <jan.kulik.szsle@...> wrote:
Hi

I'm on the GytHubs page, but I don't see NVSpeech here as an installer,
I only see the source code here, but I don't know those codes.

Ján Kulik

--
Ján Kulik

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Mike

Thank you very much for the direct link, I didn't see anything on the releases page on github either.

Mike.

Hi Ján,

That's why we're getting them up on the main add-ons site, to make them easier to find :)

You can also download NV Speech Player directly from: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda-addons/nvSpeechPlayer_2020.1.nvda-addon

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 9:51 AM Ján Kulik <jan.kulik.szsle@...> wrote:
Hi

I'm on the GytHubs page, but I don't see NVSpeech here as an installer,
I only see the source code here, but I don't know those codes.

Ján Kulik

--
Ján Kulik

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Loh Boon Keat

Hi. Sorry for asking. Are I able to add additional voice to speech player like the old version? What I mean is, are I able to add new voice by put the voice file in the spesific folder so that I can use it in the latest version of speech player? Thanks.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020, 7:34 AM Mike <blindndangerous@...> wrote:

[...]

But I do not know if it would work for me, all voices are still only in English, in older versions of the add-on was also Slovak.

--
Ján Kulik

--
Ján Kulik

Greg Wocher

Hello all,

The speech player addon does not appear to be the same as the older one. It is missing all kinds of voices. There seems to be only four voices. Did something go wrong?

Greg Wocher

On 3/11/2020 7:57 PM, Ján Kulik wrote:
But I do not know if it would work for me, all voices are still only in English, in older versions of the add-on was also Slovak.

Ján Kulik

I've seen it too, but I think it's just all redesigned to python 3, maybe it'll all come back, but it takes a lot of work.

--
Ján Kulik

--
Ján Kulik

Martina Letochová

I think you mix it up with a similarly named SpeechPlayer in eSpeak, which is different and based on the original eSpeak and hasn't been updated yet; that had all the eSpeak languages including Czech and Slovak.
Martina

On 12/3/2020 0:57, Ján Kulik wrote:
But I do not know if it would work for me, all voices are still only in English, in older versions of the add-on was also Slovak.

Nikola Jovic

Exactly. This is NV speech player, a completely different project
meant to create a better Klatt based synthesizer.

On 3/12/20, Martina Letochová <letochova@seznam.cz> wrote:
I think you mix it up with a similarly named SpeechPlayer in eSpeak,
which is different and based on the original eSpeak and hasn't been
updated yet; that had all the eSpeak languages including Czech and Slovak.
Martina

On 12/3/2020 0:57, Ján Kulik wrote:
But I do not know if it would work for me, all voices are still only in
English, in older versions of the add-on was also Slovak.

I have noticed that its just an init file, and thats it.

While I can install the addon when I pull it from the source it is not seen.

On a related note, I transfered the espeak ng stuff from nvda to talking dosbox and got a different sound from that when running the emulator.

The sound was unlike anything I heard, the voice sounded quite nice.

I tried to make nvda do this by setting the default to none and it sounded totally crap.

I'd like that sound to be honest rather than standard espeak.

On that note what is a problem of updating the speech in espeak addon with the espeak ng data?

On 12/03/2020 1:30 pm, Greg Wocher wrote:
Hello all,

The speech player addon does not appear to be the same as the older one. It is missing all kinds of voices. There seems to be only four voices. Did something go wrong?

Greg Wocher

On 3/11/2020 7:57 PM, Ján Kulik wrote:
But I do not know if it would work for me, all voices are still only in English, in older versions of the add-on was also Slovak.

Noelia Ruiz

Hello, as Joseph has suspended activity due to Covit19 and I don't see
audioscreen and NV Speech Player in the website, and I am at home
during a week due to a small traffic accident, I will update the
website and add-on files for the other add-ons. I will take a look to
OCR code to see if I can or not to maintain it, as done with PC KB Brl
input.

PS: The traffic accident suffered by me was due to the fact that a
smal road has a traffic light whithout acustic signals (sounds). An
hybrid car, using an electronic mechanism when it is starting, who
doesn't emit sounds if it walks slowly, walked over my foot and I'm at
home due to medical prescription. Nothing is broken just an inflamator
process, so I can use the computer during some minutes several times
in the day, not for a long long time due to position of my feet, which
needs to be in a higher position due to prescription.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 9:42 AM Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi,

I’ll update the compatibility list and the add-on files repo for OCR.

NV Access has updated our OCR, NVSpeechPlayer and AudioScreen add-ons,
and
we'd like to have them updated and uploaded on the official add-ons page
please.

OCR: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-ocr/

This is an update to the add-on at
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/ocr.en.html If anyone uses this
add-on and would like to take over maintaining the OCR add-on, please get
in touch.

NVSpeechPlayer: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvSpeechPlayer
This is an update to:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvSpeechPlayer.en.html

audioScreen: https://github.com/nvaccess/audioScreen

Web: www.nvaccess.org

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org

Hi Quentin, I'm trying to update addonFiles for NV Speech Player at
the first place. Please, if you haven't sent the following
information, provide exact download links for add-ons, and if you want
to post several versions or just the latest, for example if you want
us to post versions compatible with NVDA 2017.3 or prereleases.

Slso, I have look at the log of NV Speech Player using git log -p and
the repo structure. This can be updated on the website. However, for
now this add-on cannot be integrated in the NVDA's translations system
since it doesn't use add-on template, and may not work. Anyway, we
have to wait to Mesar to fix a bug in the system.
I think we can wait for Reef to work in a future add-on workflow and
then NV Access and other add-ons could be adapted using add-on
template or a different decided structure to be integrated in the
system.
Thanks

[...]

Hi Noelia,

As well as the links in the original message, we have linked to these add-ons ready to go at:

Is that what you needed?

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Noelia Ruiz

Yes :)
Many thanks. I will post this on addon site and will update the documentation in assembla for translators. Also, let me know if you want to maintain older versions compatible with NVDA 2017.-3 for XP, for OCR and NV Speech Player. Maybe not needed. For now I will post just the provided links.
And when the translation system for messages works well for add-ons, we will integrate these add-ons there. About OCR, I will look. I use it just on job, so I dont know if I can or not maintain the add-on. I will see :)

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 13 mar 2020, a las 6:28, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> escribió:

Hi Noelia,

As well as the links in the original message, we have linked to these add-ons ready to go at:

Is that what you needed?

Quentin.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 6:40 PM Noelia Ruiz <nrm1977@...> wrote:
Hi Quentin, I'm trying to update addonFiles for NV Speech Player at
the first place. Please, if you haven't sent the following
information, provide exact download links for add-ons, and if you want
to post several versions or just the latest, for example if you want
us to post versions compatible with NVDA 2017.3 or prereleases.

Slso, I have look at the log of NV Speech Player using git log -p and
the repo structure. This can be updated on the website. However, for
now this add-on cannot be integrated in the NVDA's translations system
since it doesn't use add-on template, and may not work. Anyway, we
have to wait to Mesar to fix a bug in the system.
I think we can wait for Reef to work in a future add-on workflow and
then NV Access and other add-ons could be adapted using add-on
template or a different decided structure to be integrated in the
system.
Thanks

> NV Access has updated our OCR, NVSpeechPlayer and AudioScreen add-ons, and
> we'd like to have them updated and uploaded on the official add-ons page
> please.
>
> OCR: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-ocr/
> This is an update to the add-on at
> https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/ocr.en.html  If anyone uses this
> add-on and would like to take over maintaining the OCR add-on, please get
> in touch.
>
> NVSpeechPlayer: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvSpeechPlayer
> This is an update to:
> https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvSpeechPlayer.en.html
>
> audioScreen: https://github.com/nvaccess/audioScreen
> We currently have a page for this add-on at:
> https://www.nvaccess.org/audioScreen/  Happy to copy all the info across to
> the add-ons site, I just figured it was more concise to point to the
> existing description for the purpose of this email.
>
> I haven't submitted any add-ons on behalf of us previously, so do please
> let me know if I need to do anything else or if I've done anything wrong.
>
> Quentin.
>
> --
> Quentin Christensen
> Training and Support Manager
>
> Web: www.nvaccess.org
> Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
> User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
> Twitter: @NVAccess <https://twitter.com/NVAccess>

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Quentin Christensen

Thank you Noelia,

If we could keep the previous version which worked with XP, or the most recent previous version or both (or are they the same)?

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 4:55 PM Noelia Ruiz <nrm1977@...> wrote:
> [...]

> OCR: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-ocr/
> This is an update to the add-on at
> https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/ocr.en.html  If anyone uses this
> add-on and would like to take over maintaining the OCR add-on, please get
> in touch.
>
> NVSpeechPlayer: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvSpeechPlayer
> This is an update to:
> https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvSpeechPlayer.en.html
>
> audioScreen: https://github.com/nvaccess/audioScreen
> We currently have a page for this add-on at:
> https://www.nvaccess.org/audioScreen/  Happy to copy all the info across to
> the add-ons site, I just figured it was more concise to point to the
> existing description for the purpose of this email.
>
> I haven't submitted any add-ons on behalf of us previously, so do please
> let me know if I need to do anything else or if I've done anything wrong.

I will see. For Audioscreen, the add-on I'm looking now, its just
required the latest version, compatible with NVDA 2019.3 or later.
If you agree, I will make a small pull request since NVDA+shift+a is a
command used by NVDA in laptop keyboard layout, and we try that
add-ons at least doesn't cause conflicts with keystrokes used by
NVDA's core.
We know that it's very difficult that add-ons don't cause conflicts
between them, but I think that NVDA's core is prioritary. Could we
delay to post this particular add-on until this can be addressed?
I suggest this to avoid confusions if someone using laptop keyboard
and wants to move the review cursor in continued reading has some kind
of problem and files an issue against NVDA's core and so on.
Later I will look another add-on.

Thanks

El 13 mar 2020, a las 6:28, Quentin Christensen <quentin@nvaccess.org>
escribió:

Hi Noelia,

As well as the links in the original message, we have linked to these
add-ons ready to go at:

OCR: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda-addons/ocr-2020.1.nvda-addon
NV SpeechPlayer:
https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda-addons/nvSpeechPlayer_2020.1.nvda-addon
AudioScreen:
https://www.nvaccess.org/audioScreen/audioScreen-2020.1.nvda-addon

Is that what you needed?

Quentin.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 6:40 PM Noelia Ruiz <nrm1977@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Yes everything you have suggested is a very sensible course of action.

Kind regards

Quentin.