Topics

beginner questions in NVDA addon development

Venkatesh Potluri

Hi List,

I am just getting my feet wet with NVDA addon development and had a
few questions.
1. what are the set of libraries that I can use in an addon's code?
How can I add more python libraries and package them with the addon?
For example, I want to use websockets which when I checked is not
importable from the NVDA python console.
2. Using NVDA specific imports in other python environments.
Currently, I am able to import NVDA specific libraries e.g. ui,
speech, etc. in the NVDA python console. How can I make sure these
appear when I am using an editor like VSCode or in the standard python
interpreter?
I am using python 3.7.6.

Since this is my first post, here is some background on me -- I am a
PhD student at University of Washington and my research focuses on
screen readers and accessible programming tools. I am blind and use
NVDA full time for my access needs, and am exploring feasibility to
develop research prototypes on top of NVDA.

Answering these questions would be of great value to me.

I look forward to your help.

Best regards,
Venkatesh Potluri
https://venkateshpotluri.me

Munawar Bijani <munawarb@...>

Hi,
To your first question, I think this should be better documented in the NVDA add on guide. You need to put the pip package in your add on's directory. Then when you zip your add on the module will go with it. So first grab the pip package, and take the folder it created and paste it into your directory for your add on.

On Mar 9, 2020, at 7:48 PM, Venkatesh Potluri <venkateshpotluri.iiit@...> wrote:

[...]

James Scholes

You can't import NVDA-specific modules outside of a running copy of the screen reader at this time.

On 09/03/2020 at 5:47 pm, Venkatesh Potluri wrote:
[...]

Pawel Urbanski

Hi,
I try to spend some time as a side project on fixes to VS Code itself.
I also created an NVDA add-on for VS Code. There are some more updates
on the way this week before I take a break.
I use VS Code myself obviously. You can add external folders as
dependencies. I've combined a bit of settings code which is in the
.vscode folder of thsi repo:
https://github.com/accessifix/nvda-for-vs-code/

The next release of VS Code itself will get quite a few nice fixes on
accessibility side...

On 10/03/2020, James Scholes <james@...> wrote:
[...]

Akash Kakkar

Pawel,
Thanks for your addon bro,
Going to try it as I use VS Code heavily.

On 3/10/20, Pawel Urbanski <pawel@...> wrote:
[...]

I will drop you a direct line, for I want to collect feedback from
users who code for extended amounts of time.
My goal is to make this add on and VS Code as optimal as possible -
including such things like a custom speech diectionary for reading
certain code structures...
While I am less nad less a developer myself, I occasionaly code things
for myself and can spend some time every now and then on this add-on
if it is useful for more people than myself only.

On 10/03/2020, Akash Kakkar <akash.misc07@...> wrote:
[...]

Sure Pawel.
I'm ready to provide the feedback. let's talk privately

[...]

Robert Hänggi

For the current packages available, enter help("modules") in the NVDA
python console.
Robert

[...]

Keep in mind that this will result in a huge amount of text being sent to your speech synthesizer. Depending on which one you're using, NVDA could become unresponsive for several seconds or longer. Writing the help to a file is a good alternative.