Topics

Add ons and add on updater confusion

Brian's Mail list account

I'm pretty certain I'm not alone in being confused here, so I'll try to explain further. It could easily be a kind of cognitive blind spot for me, but please have patience.
Let us first take 2019.3, with the latest add on updater. Mozilla Enhancements on my machine says its 1.9.2. The version I'm being offered is 1.1, and hence I'm not really sure if I'm down dating or updating. I have not tried doing it in case it mucks the thing up.
Secondly running the new Alpha builds I'm being prompted not only for Mozilla Enhancements, but Winamp extended. When I try to install them they say they are not compatible with 2020.1.

It seems then that at the very least, current add ons being offered are confusing depending on what version of nvda you are running.
I'm assuming here that no breaking of the system is expected until after 2020.1, so would it not be better if all add ons had at least that as their version in the manifest. I could I suppose download the add ons remotely, and modify the file to say this, but then I would be in a non standard situation, and many will not want to do that. Additional to that I've seen messages on this very list that say text nave indent nav etc are ready, but since the confusion over downloading the dropbox new version from an authors site, I've not done so, in case of issues.
I'm not sure how we can de mystify this a little or even if its possible but I feel confused as to what I'm supposed to be doing.
grin, and hope your lava is a little cooler today.
Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

Mozilla Apps Enhancements: it is version 1.10, not 1.1. So as far as Add-on
Updater is concerned, you are offered the right version.
As for modifying the manifest: at this point, it is a risky move. Just
because manifest has been edited does not make an add-on fully ready for
upcoming NVDA releases. Surely I hope the community has learned that lesson
by now.

On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2020 11:51 PM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: [nvda-addons] Add ons and add on updater confusion

[...]

Hmmm, Well if its 1.1 from 1.9 then it could be interpreted as 1.10 so see if it is the right one.

From looking at the web page and download links.

If addon updater is reading 1.1 then it is 1.10 in this case though the updater does not read the 0 in the name.

If winamp, its 1.12, however if addon updater is reading the webpage that still says 1.1.

On 17/02/2020 8:50 pm, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Well, so you are in fact saying then, that 2020.1 could break add ons again.

Sent: Sunday, February 16, 2020 11:51 PM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io

[...]

At this time, no. The biggest change so far (apart from moving to Visual
Studio 2019) is addition of output reason enumeration.