Topics

The slavic, 6.1 ft human-like volcano is coming: switch synth v 1.03 #add-on review #add-on

zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz

Hi to all,

Today i have ported Switch synth add-on to py3.

I have tested all the functionality and i saw that all works as expected.

For the next version, I plan to add more slots. Instead of 6, I plan to add 10 of them.

So, that we will have 10 slots available.

For now, i’ve added the manifest keys, along with the changed syntax with modules available, so that the  add-on can be run on py3.

I think, that I’ve dropped compatibility for  py3, as I renamed cPickle to pickle.

I’ve changed also iteritems to just items.

That’s what I’ve done.

I am waiting for review of this version, as We will newer get the answer from Tyler.

Best,

Zvonimir

Hi,

Basic review is on its way – along with testing it in live setting. If approved, I advise holding off until at least until New Year or NVDA 2019.3 RC is released, whichever happens earlier.

Today i have ported Switch synth add-on to py3.

I have tested all the functionality and i saw that all works as expected.

For the next version, I plan to add more slots. Instead of 6, I plan to add 10 of them.

So, that we will have 10 slots available.

For now, i’ve added the manifest keys, along with the changed syntax with modules available, so that the  add-on can be run on py3.

I think, that I’ve dropped compatibility for  py3, as I renamed cPickle to pickle.

I’ve changed also iteritems to just items.

That’s what I’ve done.

I am waiting for review of this version, as We will newer get the answer from Tyler.

Best,

Zvonimir

Hi,

Basic review results:

  • License and copyright: pass
  • Documentation: pass
  • Security: pass
  • User experience: pass
  • Manifest: pass
  • Python 3 compatible: yes

Comments:

  • If you are using pickle and dict.items(), may I suggest changing minimum version flag to 2019.3? If 2018.2 is going to be specified, I advise conditional imports such as “import cPickle as pickle” or similar.
  • You can also use script decorator and assign number row to switch synth command (this requires NVDA 2018.4 or later).
  • After saving synth options and if a user decides to go back to a previous version of the add-on, synth slots will not operate. Python 2 is happy with pickle protocol 0, but Python 3.4 and later wants to work with pickle protocol 4 by default. One workaround for the time being is specifying “protocol=0” when loading or saving config. This is another reason why I suggest setting minimum version flag to 2019.3 to avoid this situation.

Today i have ported Switch synth add-on to py3.

I have tested all the functionality and i saw that all works as expected.

For the next version, I plan to add more slots. Instead of 6, I plan to add 10 of them.

So, that we will have 10 slots available.

For now, i’ve added the manifest keys, along with the changed syntax with modules available, so that the  add-on can be run on py3.

I think, that I’ve dropped compatibility for  py3, as I renamed cPickle to pickle.

I’ve changed also iteritems to just items.

That’s what I’ve done.

I am waiting for review of this version, as We will newer get the answer from Tyler.

Best,

Zvonimir

zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz

Note:

I’ve realized that i’ve gropped backwards compatibility, and I’ve decided the following.

  1. When the review passes, I will change the manifests accordingly.
  2. Before the release, I am going to make the add-on translatable and put it to GH.
  3. As I’ve promised, I will add 10, instead of only 6 slots.
  4.

[...]

Ângelo Abrantes

Working properly with last alpha and windows7.

Ângelo Abrantes

--
Cordiais Cumprimentos
Ângelo Abrantes, Equipa <Portuguesa do NVDA

zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz

Ok.

I will post this version soon, and I am going to create the repo on GH for the add-on, respectively.

May I also request that the add-on can be updated from add-ons updater facility?

Best,

Zvonimir

[...]

I’ll update Add-on Updater to do just that.

[...]

Hi Joseph,

As i said earlier, I’ve decided the following.

  1. For the sake of transition from NVDA 2019.2 or older to NVDA 2019.3, I will keep this nasty workaround, i.e, I specified synthversion parameter to 0, as I want to use pickle protocol 0
  2. As for the script decorator, as it is my first porting of an add-on, can you give me an example of this?
  3. From this version, I am dropping compatibility for NVDA 2019.2 and older, but I want to keep the old and new version on the community site for the sake of smooth transition, or in case people need this add-on in older form.
  4. Now I am releasing here version 1.04 with these small changes, and I’ve added my contact info to manifest, in case of questions, bug reports and so on.
  5. Version 1.04 drops the backward compatibility, and I am stating, as of today, that this version of the add-on is only python3 version, i.e, there is no going back.

Best,

Zvonimir

[...]

Script decorator: one example is:

@scriptHandler.script(    description=docstring,

    Gesture=someeGesture

)

Def script_something(self, gesture):

    # do whatever

As for release, when would you like to release it – now, January 1, 2020, or NVDA 2019.3 RC?

[...]

I will release this on January 1, 2020.

Before this date, I would like to ask you in assistance with the translation system, and properly reflecting the add-on state on the page, when I start to make the set of changes

I have also one more question for the script decorator

Will I need to specify it for all the gestures I want to assign?

Best,

Zvonimir

[...]

Lukasz Golonka

What is the point of keeping two versions of the same add-on on the
community site if its not very hard in this case to make it compatible
with both Python 2 and 3?
Additionally for people using addon updater on 2019.2 they would receive
announcement about new version just to realize after download that it is
not compatible.

On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 19:45:26 +0100
zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz <zvonimirek222@...> wrote:

Hi Joseph,
As i said earlier, I&#8217;ve decided the following.
For the sake of transition from NVDA 2019.2 or older to NVDA 2019.3, I will keep this nasty workaround, i.e, I specified synthversion parameter to 0, as I want to use pickle protocol 0As for the script decorator, as it is my first porting of an add-on, can you give me an example of this?From this version, I am dropping compatibility for NVDA 2019.2 and older, but I want to keep the old and new version on the community site for the sake of smooth transition, or in case people need this add-on in older form.Now I am releasing here version 1.04 with these small changes, and I&#8217;ve added my contact info to manifest, in case of questions, bug reports and so on. Version 1.04 drops the backward compatibility, and I am stating, as of today, that this version of the add-on is only python3 version, i.e, there is no going back.
Best,
Zvonimir

License and copyright: passDocumentation: passSecurity: passUser experience: passManifest: passPython 3 compatible: yes

Comments:

If you are using pickle and dict.items(), may I suggest changing minimum version flag to 2019.3? If 2018.2 is going to be specified, I advise conditional imports such as &#8220;import cPickle as pickle&#8221; or similar.You can also use script decorator and assign number row to switch synth command (this requires NVDA 2018.4 or later).After saving synth options and if a user decides to go back to a previous version of the add-on, synth slots will not operate. Python 2 is happy with pickle protocol 0, but Python 3.4 and later wants to work with pickle protocol 4 by default. One workaround for the time being is specifying &#8220;protocol=0&#8221; when loading or saving config. This is another reason why I suggest setting minimum version flag to 2019.3 to avoid this situation.

Today i have ported Switch synth add-on to py3.
I have tested all the functionality and i saw that all works as expected.
For the next version, I plan to add more slots. Instead of 6, I plan to add 10 of them.
So, that we will have 10 slots available.
For now, i&#8217;ve added the manifest keys, along with the changed syntax with modules available, so that the add-on can be run on py3.
I think, that I&#8217;ve dropped compatibility for py3, as I renamed cPickle to pickle.
I&#8217;ve changed also iteritems to just items.
That&#8217;s what I&#8217;ve done.
I am waiting for review of this version, as We will newer get the answer from Tyler.
Best,
Zvonimir

zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz

In my humble opinion, if we are completely switching from py2 to py3, why we need to be backward compatible?
I've just prepared for a day, when we will no longer need to do the compatibility specifications for py2.
It was easier to port this like that.

coming: switch synth v 1.03 #add-on review

Hi to all,
Today i have ported Switch synth add-on to py3.
I have tested all the functionality and i saw that all works as expected.
For the next version, I plan to add more slots. Instead of 6, I plan to add 10 of them.
So, that we will have 10 slots available.
For now, i&#8217;ve added the manifest keys, along with the changed syntax with modules available, so that the add-on can be run on py3.
I think, that I&#8217;ve dropped compatibility for py3, as I renamed cPickle to pickle.
I&#8217;ve changed also iteritems to just items.
That&#8217;s what I&#8217;ve done.
I am waiting for review of this version, as We will newer get the answer from Tyler.
Best,
Zvonimir

Hi,

You don’t have to specify the decorator for all gestures. And at this point, I advise not adding decorators until after NVDA 2019.3 is released, as the highest of highest of priorities now is making sure the add-on is compatible.

[...]

DaVid

Hi. What is the advantage between use this add-on and the native NVDAs profiles?
Since NVDA now lets the users to asign gestures to activate profiles,
we can create a specific profile with the needed sinthesis.

Regards,
David.

Tyler Spivey

Thanks for taking the time to port my addon to Python 3.

However, I feel the way you did it was inappropriate.

Looking at the GitHub, I see 0 issues or PRs, so you didn't even try to contact me first.

I'm also calling Joseph out on this.

My understanding of this thread is that you plan to fork my addon without my input, without even giving me a chance to respond.

While this is completely legal under the GPL, I don't feel this is the way the community should operate.

As a counterexample, take Classic Selection. Łukasz Golonka sent in a nice PR that modifies the addon to work with Py3, which I'll review, merge, and simply release an update.

On 12/15/2019 9:53 AM, zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz wrote:

Hi to all,

Today i have ported Switch synth add-on to py3.

I have tested all the functionality and i saw that all works as expected.

For the next version, I plan to add more slots. Instead of 6, I plan to add 10 of them.

So, that we will have 10 slots available.

For now, i’ve added the manifest keys, along with the changed syntax with modules available, so that the  add-on can be run on py3.

I think, that I’ve dropped compatibility for  py3, as I renamed cPickle to pickle.

I’ve changed also iteritems to just items.

That’s what I’ve done.

I am waiting for review of this version, as We will newer get the answer from Tyler.

Best,

Zvonimir

Hi Tyler,

I see.

To be fair, I did ask folks to contact you regarding various add-ons, but I and the community didn’t get reports that you have responded – if we did, we could have settled this matter a long time ago, with the compatibility list updated to show that work is in progress. The reason for me putting up the December 20th date was to give you time to respond and provide us with updates about your plans.

As for Classic Selection, I’ll update the compatibility list to show that work is in progress. As for Switch Synth, I advise affected parties to settle the matter soon – a pull request, or if justifications are shown, letting Tyler (preferably) or the community declare it as legacy; in the meantime, Switch Synth will be listed as “incompatible” due to the situation we are in.

[...]

I’ve done my best, as I did the porting in a most easiest way.

This breaks compatibility with older NVDA releases.

As Tyler says now that it is inaproppriate, let’s give this to him.

We need to maintain the list of repos of addons because of this.

How can I know that there was a github profile?

Sorry, but Tyler doesn’t show the willingness to cooperate and to respond quickly.

That’s the thing.

Miscommunication always happen, but when something like this, which is a transition to py 3 happens, developer should react.

If no, there is a community.

[...]

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Profiles are covering the way NVDA behaves, for me a german and english speaking person I need to switch the language quickly by a key press. That’s nothing you cann accomplish by a profile.

Cheers,
Ralf