out.

Author: Noelia Ruiz Martínez <nrm1977@...>
typed on protected
controls as passwords.
Minimum required NVDA version: 2019.3
Last NVDA version tested: 2019.3
Download:
https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords/releases/download/1.5-dev/reportPasswords-1.5-dev.nvda-addon
Documentation: https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords
Thanks

ChrisLM

Hi.
This is the result of my basic review:

License and copyright: They are specified in all Python files, however the file *COPYING.txt* is missing in teh repository.

Documentation: pass.

Security: pass.

User experience: pass.

NVDA compatibility: pass. (Concerns compatibility with the future version of NVDA, I hope the stable version of this add-on will be released after the next release of stable version of NVDA).

Thanks so much,

Chris.

Hi, as mentioned previously, some people is interested in this
functionality. We have Speak Passwords add-on on the website, but this
is not compatible with NVDA 2019.3 or later.
I created the Report Passwords add-on independently some years ago,
and I would like to request a basic review, since NVDA 2019.3beta1 is
out.

Author: Noelia Ruiz Martínez <nrm1977@...>
typed on protected
controls as passwords.
Minimum required NVDA version: 2019.3
Last NVDA version tested: 2019.3
Download:
https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords/releases/download/1.5-dev/reportPasswords-1.5-dev.nvda-addon
Documentation: https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords
Thanks

Noelia Ruiz

Thanks. In the last commit of master branch I have performed review
actions addressing your comments:
* Added copying.txt to the repo.
Also, I have updated the readme.md file adding links to stable and dev
version with rp key, so the add-on can be posted on the add-ons
website when these keys are added to addonFiles. If there aren't
objections to this, I will post this in about a week to give people
time to reply.
Note: I am confident regarding your qualification to perform this
review based on your Python code contained in two repos hosted on your
GitHub account, reviewed by me time ago, though you haven't sent them
to this community. They are two NVDA add-ons found at:
https://github.com/Christianlm?tab=repositories
In addition, your qualified work has been demonstrated in your work
for eSpeak, with fixes enjoyed in the spanish community. Also, your
expertise is shown in articles posted on our spanish NVDA's website
and useful comments in our spanish NVDA's mailing list. For example:
https://nvdaes.github.io/NVDA-ha-cambiado-al-sintetizador-de-voz-eSpeak-NG/

For people who don't know it, Chris posted several add-ons created by
me after testing them (and contributed italian translations for them)
before the international add-ons website and this add-ons mailing list
(and its predecesor) was created by Joseph.

Author: Noelia Ruiz Martínez <nrm1977@...>
typed on protected
controls as passwords.
Minimum required NVDA version: 2019.3
Last NVDA version tested: 2019.3
Download:
https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords/releases/download/1.5-dev/reportPasswords-1.5-dev.nvda-addon
Documentation: https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords
Thanks

Robert Hänggi

Just a dumb question, what's the copying.txt file for? Is it any
different from the regular one that's already included with NVDA?
Robert

Author: Noelia Ruiz Martínez <nrm1977@...>
typed on protected
controls as passwords.
Minimum required NVDA version: 2019.3
Last NVDA version tested: 2019.3
Download:
https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords/releases/download/1.5-dev/reportPasswords-1.5-dev.nvda-addon
Documentation: https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords
Thanks

Noelia Ruiz

The copying.txt is the GNU license, version 2. The difference with NVDA is that NVDA cinclude some components under other licenses.
Cheers

Enviado desde mi iPhone

Author: Noelia Ruiz Martínez <nrm1977@...>
typed on protected
controls as passwords.
Minimum required NVDA version: 2019.3
Last NVDA version tested: 2019.3
Download:
https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords/releases/download/1.5-dev/reportPasswords-1.5-dev.nvda-addon
Documentation: https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords
Thanks

Luke Davis

Noelia already answered, but another point about this.
If you are creating a new repo on Github, and you choose to include a license, and select Gnu General Public License version 2: you will get a file called "LICENSE" I believe. Renaming that to "COPYING.txt" will get you a clean copy of the license.

Of course you could also just leave it as "LICENSE"--there is no requirement that it be called "copying", it is only tradition.

Luke

On Mon, 9 Dec 2019, Robert Hänggi wrote:

Just a dumb question, what's the copying.txt file for? Is it any
different from the regular one that's already included with NVDA?
Robert

Kevin Cussick

and another dumb question, I thought the password addon was now in core or have I not understood in the manual of nvda alpha?😊

Author: Noelia Ruiz Martínez <nrm1977@...>
typed on protected
controls as passwords.
Minimum required NVDA version: 2019.3
Last NVDA version tested: 2019.3
Download:
https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords/releases/download/1.5-dev/reportPasswords-1.5-dev.nvda-addon
Documentation: https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords
Thanks

Noelia Ruiz

Hi, the functionality of the add-on is not in the core. NVDA includes an advanced option to report passwords, but just in consoles. I havent tested this option, but the add-on acts in fields considered protected (and consequently where key echo is masked with asterisks) by NVDA. NVDA has a method for this in its api.py file, and this is what the add-on is replacing if configured for this. Cheers

Enviado desde mi iPhone

Author: Noelia Ruiz Martínez <nrm1977@...>
typed on protected
controls as passwords.
Minimum required NVDA version: 2019.3
Last NVDA version tested: 2019.3
Download:
https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords/releases/download/1.5-dev/reportPasswords-1.5-dev.nvda-addon
Documentation: https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords
Thanks

Kevin Cussick

Hi, OK fare enough thanks for Your quick response.

Author: Noelia Ruiz Martínez <nrm1977@...>
typed on protected
controls as passwords.
Minimum required NVDA version: 2019.3
Last NVDA version tested: 2019.3
Download:
https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords/releases/download/1.5-dev/reportPasswords-1.5-dev.nvda-addon
Documentation: https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords
Thanks

Noelia Ruiz

Thank you for the question. I saw the code about consoles and I think that the add-on does not affect them. Anyway, I will test this and if needed I will include a note in the documentation clarifying this fact.
Cheers

Enviado desde mi iPhone

Author: Noelia Ruiz Martínez <nrm1977@...>
typed on protected
controls as passwords.
Minimum required NVDA version: 2019.3
Last NVDA version tested: 2019.3
Download:
https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords/releases/download/1.5-dev/reportPasswords-1.5-dev.nvda-addon
Documentation: https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords
Thanks

Noelia Ruiz

Hi Kevin and all:

I have updated the readme clarifying your question and mention your
name and link to your message in the last commit.
I have tested this before updating the documentation and also
consulted the relevant pull request:
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/9649

Now the piece of updated documentation is as follows:
This add-on adds the option of speaking the text typed on protected
controls like passwords, such as when logging into web-based email
sites, where typed characters are spoken as asterisks.

Note: NVDA has an option to configure if typed passwords will be
spoken on Windows terminals. This add-on won't affect that kind of
controls, where typed characters in passwords can be read or silenced,
but won't be spoken as asterisks.

Author: Noelia Ruiz Martínez <nrm1977@...>
typed on protected
controls as passwords.
Minimum required NVDA version: 2019.3
Last NVDA version tested: 2019.3
Download:
https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords/releases/download/1.5-dev/reportPasswords-1.5-dev.nvda-addon
Documentation: https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords
Thanks

Kevin Cussick

Hi, OK thanks excellent thanks for Your work.

Author: Noelia Ruiz Martínez <nrm1977@...>
typed on protected
controls as passwords.
Minimum required NVDA version: 2019.3
Last NVDA version tested: 2019.3
Download:
https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords/releases/download/1.5-dev/reportPasswords-1.5-dev.nvda-addon
Documentation: https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords
Thanks

Noelia Ruiz

Thank you. Please ask any other question or concern.

Author: Noelia Ruiz Martínez <nrm1977@...>
text
typed on protected
controls as passwords.
Minimum required NVDA version: 2019.3
Last NVDA version tested: 2019.3
Download:
https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords/releases/download/1.5-dev/reportPasswords-1.5-dev.nvda-addon
Documentation: https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords
Thanks

Ibrahim Hamadeh

Hello
creating a profile named reportPasswords during installing the addon,
and trying to inspect the reportPasswords.ini file in the profile folder
in user configuration directory, I found that the file has not any
configuration except the schemaVersion at the begining of the file.
is this normal, or am I missing something, just wanted to tell my notice.
I want also to thank you for this addon, I use it and for me very helpfull.
regards
ibrahim

Author: Noelia Ruiz Martínez <nrm1977@...>
typed on protected
controls as passwords.
Minimum required NVDA version: 2019.3
Last NVDA version tested: 2019.3
Download:
https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords/releases/download/1.5-dev/reportPasswords-1.5-dev.nvda-addon
Documentation: https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords
Thanks

.

Noelia Ruiz

Hi, thanks for your interest and I'm happy if this is useful for you.
What you are describing can be normal if for example you have
configured NVDA to speak typed characters and passwords from the
add-on settings panel, since, in this case, NVDA doesn't save this if
you try to do it creating a new profile. Also it could happen if you
inspect the reportPasswords.ini file before restarting NVDA after
add-on installation of if you have unchecked the option to save
configuration after exiting NVDA, in General settings dialog.
Be aware that the creation of this profile is just for convenience,
mostly for people which don't use the speak typed characters option
usually, and install the add-on with its default option, which is not
report passwords. I think that especially passwords are confidential
data and by default it's better not to enable its reporting and create
a profile if needed, though it can be enabled for any profile, even
normal profile.

Author: Noelia Ruiz Martínez <nrm1977@...>
typed on protected
controls as passwords.
Minimum required NVDA version: 2019.3
Last NVDA version tested: 2019.3
Download:
https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords/releases/download/1.5-dev/reportPasswords-1.5-dev.nvda-addon
Documentation: https://github.com/nvdaes/reportPasswords
Thanks

.

Ibrahim Hamadeh

Hello
Thank you for your reply, and expanding on that
OK, I got your point.
thank you again
ibrahim

Author: Noelia Ruiz Martínez <nrm1977@...>