Topics

Beginner to addon development

hmelias09@...

Hello Everyone:

My name is Hector Elias, and I have began reading the NVDA addon development guide. I have a simple question regarding this manual. Under the section of “Setting up your development environment” where it is talking about the gettext software, I find the following line:

◦ Once downloaded, copy both exe files to your add-on development folder. See the next section for a description of the add-on folder structure.

I went to the SourceForge website, and only got one exe file. What am I missing? What is the second file? I only saw the source archive.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Hector

Luke Davis

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019, hmelias09@gmail.com wrote:

My name is Hector Elias, and I have began reading the NVDA addon development guide. I have a simple question regarding this manual. Under the section of
“Setting up your development environment” where it is talking about the gettext software, I find the following line:
◦ Once downloaded, copy both exe files to your add-on development folder. See the next section for a description of the add-on folder structure.
Sorry, I thought I had clarified that section.

The two files you need are:

msgfmt.exe
xgettext.exe

In order to stop carrying these files in repos, or having to exempt them, and since I discontinued my own build environment and started using Appveyor, I have a gist for those files, and you are welcome to use that directly or download them as you see fit.

https://gist.github.com/XLTechie/f0ebdfefef3e5df88b289434ae07370b/raw/bb79b4d989a8245347afdddda0f59f26f1af7279/gettextFiles.zip

Luke

derek riemer

Should we just package those with the addon template?

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 10:14 PM Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:
On Fri, 22 Nov 2019, hmelias09@... wrote:

> My name is Hector Elias, and I have began reading the NVDA addon development guide. I have a simple question regarding this manual. Under the section of
> “Setting up your development environment” where it is talking about the gettext software, I find the following line:
>
> ◦ Once downloaded, copy both exe files to your add-on development folder. See the next section for a description of the add-on folder structure.

Sorry, I thought I had clarified that section.

The two files you need are:

msgfmt.exe
xgettext.exe

In order to stop carrying these files in repos, or having to exempt them, and
since I discontinued my own build environment and started using Appveyor, I have
a gist for those files, and you are welcome to use that directly or download
them as you see fit.

https://gist.github.com/XLTechie/f0ebdfefef3e5df88b289434ae07370b/raw/bb79b4d989a8245347afdddda0f59f26f1af7279/gettextFiles.zip

Derek Riemer
•    Accessibility enthusiast.
•    Open source enthusiast.
•    Skier.

hmelias09@...

Hello:

I think it will make it easier for new developers.

Thank you,

Hector

Should we just package those with the addon template?

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 10:14 PM Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019, hmelias09@... wrote:

> My name is Hector Elias, and I have began reading the NVDA addon development guide. I have a simple question regarding this manual. Under the section of
> “Setting up your development environment” where it is talking about the gettext software, I find the following line:
>
> ◦ Once downloaded, copy both exe files to your add-on development folder. See the next section for a description of the add-on folder structure.

Sorry, I thought I had clarified that section.

The two files you need are:

msgfmt.exe
xgettext.exe

In order to stop carrying these files in repos, or having to exempt them, and
since I discontinued my own build environment and started using Appveyor, I have
a gist for those files, and you are welcome to use that directly or download
them as you see fit.

https://gist.github.com/XLTechie/f0ebdfefef3e5df88b289434ae07370b/raw/bb79b4d989a8245347afdddda0f59f26f1af7279/gettextFiles.zip

Derek Riemer
Improving the world one byte at a time!        ⠠⠊⠍⠏⠗⠕⠧⠬ ⠸⠺ ⠐⠕ ⠃⠽⠞⠑ ⠁⠞ ⠐⠞⠖
•    Accessibility enthusiast.
•    Open source enthusiast.
•    Skier.

Hi all

I have the same issue about setting up add-on development environment, and there is a chat group for us to discuss about developing add-on. you can join at https://nvda-addons.groups.io/g/nvda-addons/chat/3358 and we could discusss their.

HTH.

Cuong

Đặng Mạnh Cường
Chuyên viên công nghệ trợ giúp
Trung tâm hướng nghiệp và công nghệ trợ giúp cho người mù Sao Mai
52/22 Huỳnh Thiện Lộc, P. Hòa Thạnh, Q. Tân Phú, TP. HCM
Điện thoại: 028-7302-4488
E-mail: tech@...
Website: http://www.trungtamsaomai.org; http://www.saomaicenter.org
Điện thoại di động / Zalo: 0902-572-300
E-mail:  dangmanhcuong@...; cuong@...
Skype: dangmanhcuong
Twitter: ManhCuongTech
On 11/29/2019 4:15 AM, hmelias09@... wrote:

Hello:

I think it will make it easier for new developers.

Thank you,

Hector

Should we just package those with the addon template?

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 10:14 PM Luke Davis <luke@...> wrote:

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019, hmelias09@... wrote:

> My name is Hector Elias, and I have began reading the NVDA addon development guide. I have a simple question regarding this manual. Under the section of
> “Setting up your development environment” where it is talking about the gettext software, I find the following line:
>
> ◦ Once downloaded, copy both exe files to your add-on development folder. See the next section for a description of the add-on folder structure.

Sorry, I thought I had clarified that section.

The two files you need are:

msgfmt.exe
xgettext.exe

In order to stop carrying these files in repos, or having to exempt them, and
since I discontinued my own build environment and started using Appveyor, I have
a gist for those files, and you are welcome to use that directly or download
them as you see fit.

https://gist.github.com/XLTechie/f0ebdfefef3e5df88b289434ae07370b/raw/bb79b4d989a8245347afdddda0f59f26f1af7279/gettextFiles.zip

Derek Riemer
Improving the world one byte at a time!        ⠠⠊⠍⠏⠗⠕⠧⠬ ⠸⠺ ⠐⠕ ⠃⠽⠞⠑ ⠁⠞ ⠐⠞⠖
•    Accessibility enthusiast.
•    Open source enthusiast.
•    Skier.

Why is such a discussion not appropriate to the main group?

E-mail: tech@saomaicenter.org
Website: http://www.trungtamsaomai.org; http://www.saomaicenter.org
Điện thoại di động / Zalo: 0902-572-300
E-mail: dangmanhcuong@gmail.com; cuong@saomaicenter.org