From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io [mailto:nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io] On Behalf Of Noelia Ruiz
Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2017 9:54 AM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: [nvda-addons] UnicodeBrailleInput add/on

Hi, should this add/on removed from the website_ Now Braille unicode table can be selected from Braille settings.
If so, I-d like mantain somewhere a copy of the repo for historical purposes, aknowledging the work of the add/on authors, Mesar and Patrick.

OK, though we should promote people to update to last versions. I confirm that in certain webpage of an organization for blind and people with other disabilities NVDA 2015 (I think that 2015.3) is already shared, and this isn't good for people.
Cheers

El 26/08/2017 a las 18:59, Joseph Lee escribió:
Hi,
I think it should be kept on the website until at least end of this year in consideration for those who may have not updated to NVDA 2017.3.
Hi, should this add/on removed from the website_ Now Braille unicode table can be selected from Braille settings.
If so, I-d like mantain somewhere a copy of the repo for historical purposes, aknowledging the work of the add/on authors, Mesar and Patrick.

I will add a note to the add-on entry on the website, telling people to disable this add-on if running NVDA 2017.3 and switch to Unicode braille for braille input.

Hi, should this add/on removed from the website_ Now Braille unicode table can be selected from Braille settings.
If so, I-d like mantain somewhere a copy of the repo for historical purposes, aknowledging the work of the add/on authors, Mesar and Patrick.
Cheers

Timothy

I believe that the add-on should be here to stay, as both input methods can serve two different populations. For example, if you have a Braille Display with a braille keyboard, then the Unicode braille Input table can serve you well. Otherwise, you'd have to use something like PC Keyboard Braille Input, which may not work with all keyboards because of a lack of n-key rollover. If that is the case, using Unicode Braille Input may be more efficient.

There may be other use cases for either of the two input methods, but I don't see why the add-on should be considered redundant or deprecated.

Timothy

Hi, should this add/on removed from the website_ Now Braille unicode
table can be selected from Braille settings.
If so, I-d like mantain somewhere a copy of the repo for historical
purposes, aknowledging the work of the add/on authors, Mesar and Patrick.

Hi, I didn't realise about the use case you are mentioning, since I assumed that English keyboard is present on Windows and can be used with PC Keyboard Braille Input.
Cheers

El 26/08/2017 a las 19:56, Timothy via Groups.Io escribió:
[...]

Yes, but if you do not have n-key rollover, then various combinations of keys may not work when pressed at the same time. Jamie tried to account for that by allowing the row above for input also, but depending on your keyboard, it may still not work for every combination or number of keys pressed. All three options -- using an actual braille keyboard, using the PC Keyboard Braille Input add-on, or using the Unicode Braille Input add-on -- are all viable solutions, and one may be preferred over the other depending on the situation or scenario.

Timothy

Hi, should this add/on removed from the website_ Now Braille unicode
table can be selected from Braille settings.
If so, I-d like mantain somewhere a copy of the repo for historical
purposes, aknowledging the work of the add/on authors, Mesar and Patrick.
Cheers

Lino Morales

OK a dumb question here, but can you use the Braille input with a qwerty keyboard?

On 8/26/2017 1:15 PM, Noelia Ruiz wrote:
OK.
Cheers

El 26/08/2017 a las 19:12, Joseph Lee escribió:
Hi,
I will add a note to the add-on entry on the website, telling people to disable this add-on if running NVDA 2017.3 and switch to Unicode braille for braille input.

Hi, should this add/on removed from the website_ Now Braille unicode table can be selected from Braille settings.
If so, I-d like mantain somewhere a copy of the repo for historical purposes, aknowledging the work of the add/on authors, Mesar and Patrick.
Cheers

Lino Morales

Thanks. I'm surprised I don't see said add-on on the main page.

On 8/27/2017 6:52 AM, Noelia Ruiz wrote:
Yes, with this add-on:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/pcKeyboardBrailleInput.en.html

El 27/08/2017 a las 3:51, Lino Morales escribió:
OK a dumb question here, but can you use the Braille input with a qwerty keyboard?

On 8/26/2017 1:15 PM, Noelia Ruiz wrote:
OK.
Cheers

El 26/08/2017 a las 19:12, Joseph Lee escribió:
Hi,
I will add a note to the add-on entry on the website, telling people to disable this add-on if running NVDA 2017.3 and switch to Unicode braille for braille input.

Hi, should this add/on removed from the website_ Now Braille unicode table can be selected from Braille settings.
If so, I-d like mantain somewhere a copy of the repo for historical purposes, aknowledging the work of the add/on authors, Mesar and Patrick.
Cheers

Leonard de Ruijter

Hey all,

Is it true that this add-on isn't maintained any more?

i've made a personal fork of the add-on to implement a piece of additional functionality. It allows you to type or paste regular text in the input field for the add-on to convert it to unicode braille according to your current input table. This allows you to convert random text to unicode braille in whatever table you like.

I'd be happy to maintain this add-on if noone feels like doing it.
Regards,
Leonard

derek riemer

If you want, go ahead!

--

Derek Riemer: Improving the world one byte at a time!

  • University of Colorado Boulder Department of computer science, 4th year undergraduate student.
  • Accessibility enthusiast.
  • Proud user of the NVDA screen reader.
  • Open source enthusiast.
  • Skier.