Topics

Re : Re: [nvda-addons] delayed character descriptions. #addonrequestreview

DaVid

Hi. What NVDA version are you using?
Can you tell me your computer specs?
I tried with NVDA 2019.2 and latest alpha in two different laptops
with specs: MSI intel i7 8750h, 32gb ramd and Lenovo intel i5 8250u,
16gb ram. Both with windows 10 1903.
I set the delay time to 1 ms. No problems detected. I sent stop
command, no issues were found in the log.
Did you try the latest release? You can get the latest release here:
https://davidacm.github.io/getlatest/gh/davidacm/delayedCharacterDescriptions

I cand set the minimum delay to 200ms and the max delay to 5000 ms.
What do you think about it?

I will set the add-on to cancel the timer when the user stops the
current speaking. I don't consider it necessary for the pause command.

About documentation: can you tell me the specific part about technical info?
In the readme I just see one technical line, talking about unit
characters. I don't think that we need to create a separate file to
write that line hehe.

Regards,
DaVid.

<cyrille.bougot2=laposte.net@groups.io>:

Hello DavidI have installed the add-on adn made some tests. Here are my
feedbacks:1. Setting the delay to 1ms cause errors. You may investigate and
limit the minimum value to a higher value.Below is the log of the
error:Input: kb(desktop):rightArrowIO - speech._speakSpellingGen
(17:08:42.651):Speaking character u'e'DEBUG -
queueHandler.registerGeneratorObject (17:08:42.651):Adding generator 17IO -
speech._speakSpellingGen (17:08:42.667):Speaking character u'\xe9co'ERROR -
queueHandler.pumpAll (17:08:42.667):error in generator 17Traceback (most
recent call last): File "queueHandler.pyo", line 75, in pumpAllValueError:
generator already executing2. Max delay value :IMO, setting it to 20s is
much too high and the user may hear character description at a moment he/she
does not remember anymore the last gesture he has executed. He/she may think
that sometimes NVDA speaks without any reason...A value of 5000ms should be
far enough.3. Speech interruptionIf you move with arrow and press just after
the control key, the char description will be heard, whereas I expect NVDA
to be silent.Sometimes if I press control while NVDA is speaking the
description, I even get the following error :Input: kb(desktop):numpad2IO -
speech._speakSpellingGen (17:21:34.282):Speaking character u'w'DEBUG -
queueHandler.registerGeneratorObject (17:21:34.282):Adding generator
142DEBUG - queueHandler.pumpAll (17:21:34.298):generator 142 finishedIO -
speech._speakSpellingGen (17:21:36.301):Speaking character u'Whisky'DEBUG -
queueHandler.registerGeneratorObject (17:21:36.301):Adding generator
143ERROR - queueHandler.flushQueue (17:21:36.301):Error in func cancelSpeech
from eventQueueTraceback (most recent call last): File "queueHandler.pyo",
line 53, in flushQueue File "speech.pyo", line 100, in
cancelSpeechValueError: generator already executingDEBUG -
queueHandler.pumpAll (17:21:36.316):generator 143 finished4. Documentation*
The technical information is mixed in the user documentation (textInfo)IMO
you should remove it or at least put it in a separated paragraph at the end
and not at the beginning. You could add the technical information in a
separated documentation file in your repo if required.* You may format it as
the other documentations on the websites, with Author, compatibility and
download link above.According to me this add-on should be added to the
website. This feature may interest people.Cheers,Cyrille----- Mail d'origine
-----De: DaVid <dhf360@...>&Agrave;:
nvda-addons@...&eacute;: Thu, 05 Sep 2019 00:27:44
+0200 (CEST)Objet: Re: [nvda-addons] delayed character descriptions.
#addonrequestreviewThanks. I solved the integer edit control on just one
line! :)About describing characters, I delegate it to NVDA's functionality.
Inthe current version if the character description doesn't exist for
thecurrent language, then will be ignored.I updated the documentation also
and added a readme.The latest release (0.3a1) is available
here:https://github.com/david-acm/delayedCharacterDescriptions/releases/download/0.3a1/delayedCharacterDescriptions-0.3a1.nvda-addonRegards,DaVid.2019-09-04
11:49 GMT-06:00, Noelia Ruiz <nrm1977@...>:> Hi, for the dialog, you
can use a spin control setting min, max and> initial values. You have
examples in NVDA or, for example, in> clipContentsDesigner add-on. This
could be good, since you may not want> that someone sets a value of 1000000
seconds :)>> For determining the use cases in which the add-on could work, I
don't> know. It deppends on what can be useful. You may specify that this
would> work when right or left arrows are pressed, or when the character
under> the review cursor is reviewed, etc.> Also, in case this is useful for
the community, you may want to describe> also symbols, not just alphanumeric
characters. Just an idea.> And for profiles, you may want to use code from
other add-ons or> contained in NVDA's core, for ease of maintainance, though
for now your> code works well. See characterProcessing.py for an example of
NVDA's core.>> Regards>>> El 04/09/2019 a las 19:39, DaVid
escribi&oacute;:>> Thanks. I should've sent it to testing, not reviewing.
Sorry.>>>> About points 2 and 3 they were solved in the latest commit, not>>
available in the latest release. I need to integrate it with appveyor>> but
I prefer to determine if this add-on is useful for the community>> to
mantain it.>>>> point 1: what is the correct way to deal with this?>> I
extended the isValid method. I send an error message if the settings>> are
invalid and return False. Else True.>> I set the kill focus to notify the
user if the field has a wrong>> value,as another check. But NVDA doesn't
speak the message, so I send>> a low frequency beep also.>>>> Point 4: I
don't know how to clarify it.>> I based on textInfos.UNIT_CHARACTER, but I
don't know all the cases>> when NVDA sends this argument. I can track NVDA's
code to know those>> cases, but It could change in future NVDA versions.>>
Add-on developers can send it also, then the event will be activated.>> I
could write "based on textInfos.UNIT_CHARACTER argument", but this>> is a
very technical info so I don't know if is a good idea...>>>> Regards,>>
DaVid.>>>> 2019-09-04 9:56 GMT-06:00, Noelia Ruiz <nrm1977@...>:>>>
Hi, I was not sure regarding to post or not basic review results for>>> this
add-on, since the documentation found when open add-on help for>>> the
binary to be installed seems to correspond to other add-on. I>>> understand
that we all make mistakes, and this is perfectly accepted.>>> But recently I
mentioned another bug in documentation, just lack about>>> important
scripts, and we need to install binaries or check them>>> before requesting
a review at least in these basic things, imo. This>>> is not urgent and we
can perform a basic test before requesting a>>> review, not for mistakes
difficult to detect, of course. And>>> especially if several add-ons have
the same issue, reviewers and users>>> in general can decide to ignore
them.>>> But these are my results:>>>>>> - License and copyright: pass. This
is released under GPL 3, but NVDA>>> accepts GPL 2 or later, as recommended
in copyright headers article:>>>>>>>
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/Copyright-headers>>>>>> - Security:
pass>>>>>> - Documentation: fail.>>>>>> - User experience: fail.>>>>>> I
haven't reviewed the repo, since a binary was provided for>>> installation
and firstly I have installed it for review.>>>>>> Examples of failures
(maybe others):>>>>>> 1. Users can enter values like alphanumeric characters
in the edit box>>> and this can produce mistakes when trying to press OK
(tested now on>>> Windows 7).>>> 2. If for any reasons plugins are reloaded,
the panel appears multiple>>> times in settings and this can be
confusing.>>> 3. Milliseconds are mentioned in the add-on description and in
code,>>> but values are expressed in seconds (for instance, 1.0).>>> 4. The
add-on description seems to mean that descriptions are read for>>> the last
read character, not just when users run a command used for>>> this. This is
a small difference, but though documentation cannot>>> include all features
and use cases, I think that this should be>>> clarified, since I have been
confused thinking that if I press down>>> arrow and the line contains an
unique character, the description could>>> be read too.>>> I will wait at
least one or two weeks before reviewing this add-on if>>> you request this
for a different version. I will do this for add-ons>>> when documentation or
similar things seem to show that they need more>>> testing before request a
review. Other reviewers can do it before.>>> This is to perform reviews
better without burning out if too many>>> add-ons are sent too fast
(smile).>>>>>> Regards>>>>>>>>> 2019-09-03 15:25 GMT+02:00, DaVid
<dhf360@...>:>>>> Hi there.>>>>>>>> This week I wrote this add-on and
I decided to send it for review.>>>> This add-on announces the character
description after some time if the>>>> last read text was a character.
Default time is 1 second, but you can>>>> change it on the add-on
settings.>>>> This feature was copied from talkback on android, and a friend
told me>>>> that voice over on iOs has it also.>>>>>>>> Get the add-on
here:>>>>
https://github.com/david-acm/delayedCharacterDescriptions/releases/download/0.2a2/delayedCharacterDescriptions-0.2a2.nvda-addon>>>>>>>>
and the github repo here:>>>>
https://github.com/david-acm/delayedCharacterDescriptions>>>>>>>>
Regards,>>>> David.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Cyrille

Hello

I have performed the tests on NVDA 2019.2.
The error occurs with all synthesizers (eSpeak NG, IBMTTS, SAPI5) but seems to occurs more often with an old synthesizer that cannot be named here...
The error seems also to appear more often with Numpad2 or Numpad1/3.

The error occurs on my computer at work as well as at home.
At home:
win10 1903, 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1800 MHz, 4 core(s), 8 logical processor(s)
RAM : 6GB
I can confirm that I have used the last version of the add-on.

Regarding the 5000ms as max value, seems good. Regarding min value, I would recommend to let it to 1ms and investigate the error.

Documentation:
The tech line is the following :
In general, any character sent with textInfos.UNIT_CHARACTER argument to speech.speakTextInfo will activate a delayed character description.
IMO it has not its place in the description of the feature since it is part of the design description.

The following sentence is not clear to me :
Valid for auto language switching also. E.G. if you read the character "4" and the current language is spanish, you won't get a delayed description.
Are there languages where digits have a char description ? Surely most of them have not, so the example may not be understood.

Cheers,

Cyrille

[...]

would> character
under> the review cursor is reviewed, etc.> Also, in case this is
under> useful for
[...]
pass>>>>>> I
[...]

Hi, I just updated the add-on with your suggestions except for documentation.
Get the latest release here:
https://davidacm.github.io/getlatest/gh/davidacm/delayedCharacterDescriptions

I can't reproduce your issues, your environment is very similar to one
of mine. Could you try it on a fresh portable copy of NVDA?
Do you have the possibility to try it on another computer?