Topics

Re : Re: [nvda-addons] delayed character descriptions. #addonrequestreview

Cyrille

Hello David

I have installed the add-on adn made some tests. Here are my feedbacks:

1. Setting the delay to 1ms cause errors. You may investigate and limit the minimum value to a higher value.
Below is the log of the error:
Input: kb(desktop):rightArrow
IO - speech._speakSpellingGen (17:08:42.651):
Speaking character u'e'
DEBUG - queueHandler.registerGeneratorObject (17:08:42.651):
Adding generator 17
IO - speech._speakSpellingGen (17:08:42.667):
Speaking character u'\xe9co'
ERROR - queueHandler.pumpAll (17:08:42.667):
error in generator 17
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "queueHandler.pyo", line 75, in pumpAll
ValueError: generator already executing

2. Max delay value :
IMO, setting it to 20s is much too high and the user may hear character description at a moment he/she does not remember anymore the last gesture he has executed. He/she may think that sometimes NVDA speaks without any reason...
A value of 5000ms should be far enough.

3. Speech interruption
If you move with arrow and press just after the control key, the char description will be heard, whereas I expect NVDA to be silent.
Sometimes if I press control while NVDA is speaking the description, I even get the following error :
Input: kb(desktop):numpad2
IO - speech._speakSpellingGen (17:21:34.282):
Speaking character u'w'
DEBUG - queueHandler.registerGeneratorObject (17:21:34.282):
Adding generator 142
DEBUG - queueHandler.pumpAll (17:21:34.298):
generator 142 finished
IO - speech._speakSpellingGen (17:21:36.301):
Speaking character u'Whisky'
DEBUG - queueHandler.registerGeneratorObject (17:21:36.301):
Adding generator 143
ERROR - queueHandler.flushQueue (17:21:36.301):
Error in func cancelSpeech from eventQueue
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "queueHandler.pyo", line 53, in flushQueue
  File "speech.pyo", line 100, in cancelSpeech
ValueError: generator already executing
DEBUG - queueHandler.pumpAll (17:21:36.316):
generator 143 finished

4. Documentation
* The technical information is mixed in the user documentation (textInfo)
IMO you should remove it or at least put it in a separated paragraph at the end and not at the beginning. You could add the technical information in a separated documentation file in your repo if required.
* You may format it as the other documentations on the websites, with Author, compatibility and download link above.

According to me this add-on should be added to the website. This feature may interest people.

Cheers,

Cyrille