Topics

Possible Bug in Addon Updater

Luke Davis

I have only observed this once, which could mean it was a fluke, but it seems a tad buggish.

1. An addon Updater window automatically appeared at some point, showing an update for Win Ten App Essentials.
2. Right before noticing that, I turned off my laptop WiFI (hotkey), thinking I was actually turning it on.
3. Then I hit "Update" to install the update.
4. Since there was now no internet access, I got an error dialog, saying that it couldn't update.
5. Once I turned WiFI back on, I ran the NVDA->Tools->Check for addon updates.
6. It reported "No addon update available". That is what I consider the bug: it "forgot" that there was an update it had just told me about, because it was unable to download it.
(N.B. should probably say "No addon updates available".)
7. I restarted NVDA, ran step 5 again, and got the usual update dialog, which allowed me to update W10AE.

Log attached.

I think this may have to do with urllib library in use. If doing a third
check for add-on updates succeeds, then yes, it is a temporary connection
problem that urllib didn't know about.
At the moment I have suspended add-on development except for major and
critical issues in order to concentrate on highest of highest of priority
work in NVDA (Python 3).

On Sat, 8 Jun 2019, Joseph Lee wrote:

I think this may have to do with urllib library in use. If doing a third
check for add-on updates succeeds, then yes, it is a temporary connection
Only after restarting NVDA.

At the moment I have suspended add-on development except for major and
critical issues in order to concentrate on highest of highest of priority
work in NVDA (Python 3).
Well this is certainly not that, I just wanted to point it out as a potential thing to know about. It's probably a corner case anyway.

Uh oh, if it is fixed with a restart, than this might be something I may
need to look into.

I think this may have to do with urllib library in use. If doing a
third check for add-on updates succeeds, then yes, it is a temporary
connection
Only after restarting NVDA.

At the moment I have suspended add-on development except for major and
critical issues in order to concentrate on highest of highest of
priority work in NVDA (Python 3).
Well this is certainly not that, I just wanted to point it out as a
potential thing to know about. It's probably a corner case anyway.

Interestingly, I think there are times when windows simply forgets things or gets very confused. I've discovered that my long running saga of nvda not restarting after an update to add ons or itself is due to windows seeming to say files are locked for longer than one might think. Often waiting several seconds fixes it.

I guess we can never proof code against such behaviours.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk