Topics

beep keyboard add-on. #addonrequestreview

DaVid

Hi everyone!

I'm David, from Costa Rica. I'm totally blind and NVDA user since 2008.
Past Friday I wrote a small add-on to beep when the user is typing
characters and caps lock is on. I added more features so now the
add-on became something a little more complex.
Now it beeps when a toggle key state changes, when typing characters
with shift pressed, ETC. It helped me a lot to avoid writing errors
since I usually disable writing speech. Sometimes the caps lock is on,
or shift key is unreliable on a deffective keyboard, ETC.
All parameters can be adjusted. Everithing is explained in the readme.
many spanish users liked this add-on, so I decided to ask for an add-on review.
This is the latest release (on experimental branch since I don't want
affect the functional master branch yet) here is link to packaged
add-on
https://github.com/david-acm/beepKeyboard/releases/download/v0.3a1/beepKeyboard-0.3a1.nvda-addon

And the link to latest branch:
https://github.com/david-acm/beepKeyboard/tree/experimental

Currently it support english, spanish and french, but spanish and
french languages aren't completely updated yet.
For developers, I had to do some changes because I had problems with
scons and gettext to run on my machine. See developerNotes.md if you
need to use scons with this project.

Regards,
David.

Brian's Mail list account

I'm sure natively nvda has a bleep if you hit shift when caps lock is on.
Brian

bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Rui Fontes

Brian, you do not read the documentation or you did not understood...

The add-on beeps always when you type with CapsLock on, and not only when CapsLock is on and you type a shifted letter...

Às 13:18 de 15/04/2019, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io escreveu:

I'm sure natively nvda has a bleep if you hit shift when caps lock is on.
Brian
bglists@...
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "DaVid" <dhf360@...>
[...]

Thanks. Exactly as you described. Before of this add-on if caps lock
was on, I realized only until I typed a lowercase (usually by using
shift) and for fast writers it could be a lot of text. On chats or
text games, where I usually don't review the text and don't use
uppercases, This could take a lot longer to notice.
About caps lock on / off notification. Windows has this feature, but
is very tedious for laptop keyboard users because it beeps even if the
key doesn't change state.
You can enable or disable any feature. E.G. I disabled "Announce
toggle keys changes", because I prefer sound indication rater than
speech indication.

Regards,
David

[...]

Now I understand the purpose of this add-on and I'm gonna test it :)
Thanks for this.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 15/04/2019 12:16, DaVid disse:

[...]

Andre Fisher

I'm still a little lost as to the purpose. NVDA has a setting in Speech to beep for capitals. It also has a setting to notify when lower case letters are being typed with Caps Lock turned on. So, I'd like to know what new functionality the add-on provides.

DaVid

beep for capitals could work if you have "speak typed characters" on.
Also it beeps for capitals when you are reading text, useful for
synthesizers that can't change the pitch for capitals but tedious
otherwise.
Here are the current add-on features:
* Beep for uppercases when caps lock is on: if this feature is
enabled, NVDA will beep when you typing an uppercase and caps lock is
on. Don't make any more uppercase mistakes!
* Beep for typed characters when shift is pressed: with this feature
NVDA will beep if you type a character with shift key pressed.
* Beep for toggle keys changes: with this feature, NVDA will beep
higher if a toggle key goes on, and lower tone if it goes off.
* Announce toggle keys changes: just when "Beep for toggle keys
changes" is on. You can enable or disable NVDA to announce toggle key
status.
* Beep for specified characters: NVDA will beep for all characters
that you set in advanced settings.

About typed characters with shift. Initially I don't used this feature
but I updated tone parameters for it to get a more discrete sound. Now
I an others are very happy with this feature.

Regards,
David.

I'm still a little lost as to the purpose. NVDA has a setting in Speech to
beep for capitals. It also has a setting to notify when lower case letters
are being typed with Caps Lock turned on. So, I'd like to know what new
functionality the add-on provides.

Andre,
NVDA has this built-in option, you're right on this one.
However, the behavior is like that: you only get the beep if you type a letter with shift key pressed.
This add-on, on the other hand, will make a beep everytime you type a letter with capslock on.
While it can be annoying, the add-on has some interesting functions, such as ignore certain letters so whenever you type  them you'll not be disturbed by the beep.
I don't think one using this add-on might want to use this option, though, because the whole purpose of it is exactly to beep as an alert that "oops, you are typing with your capslock on. Is it really what you want?"

And now, while I don't have enough knowledge, therefore I won't make a review of this add-on, I just want to say a few words regarding it.
First of all, congrats, David, for such an interesting add-on.
So far, my only trouble with it is that I tend to use capslock key instead of the shift to type an uppercase letter, so you can imagine that when I don't get scared because of this beep sounding all of a sudden until I realise that "hey, I'm using an add-on exactly with this purpose, so that's all right", perhaps it will give me some headache over the time if I keep hearing such a sharp tone whenever I use the capslock instead of shift.
All in all, this add-on will help me to get some good typing practice, as I should've learned that what we use in cases such as the ones I described is the shift key, not the capslock. Lol

Again, congrats!

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 15/04/2019 13:47, Andre Fisher disse:

I'm still a little lost as to the purpose. NVDA has a setting in Speech to beep for capitals. It also has a setting to notify when lower case letters are being typed with Caps Lock turned on. So, I'd like to know what new functionality the add-on provides.

Hi,

Basic review results:

* License and copyright: pass
* User experience: pass
* Documentation: pass
* Security: pass (with comments)
* Python 3 compatibility: deferred

Comments:

1. You might want to inform users about beep for typed characters option in keyboard settings.
2. I recommend mentioning Ease of Access/Toggle Keys for those wishing to use it.
3. Suppose one installs this add-on into secure screens and need to enter password. With beep keyboard on, it could be possible for others to hear that the password may contain capital letters or specific characters because a beep will be heard. It is up to you as to how you'll address that, but I think it'd be best to disable key beeping functionality while in secure mode.

Once we figure out how to decouple existing NVDA and Ease of Access functionality from this add-on, along with addressing security concerns, I propose posting this on NVDA add-ons website under development section so folks can test it (green light from me).
P.S. If anyone writes follow-up comments for this review and don't hear from me for the next few days, don't worry - I'll be around but busy at times.

You wrote:
Also it beeps for capitals when you are reading text, useful for
synthesizers that can't change the pitch for capitals but tedious
otherwise.
Is it an option of this add-on or built-in in NVDA?
Because, if it's an option of this add-on, I'm not finding it. I found it on the NVDA settings though.

Now, a question I thought I'd ask.
On the options regarding characters to ignore, I noticed that there are, by default, a few characters that if removed, yes it makes a whole lot of difference.
Now, how I can get access to this characters, for example, the "tab" character that is there by default?
I don't know if I could explain it as I'd like, but in other words, I want to know how to print such characters. I think now it's better explained :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 15/04/2019 14:06, DaVid disse:
[...]

Thanks Joseph! My comments here:
1. beep for typed characters: I don't want to add many options to the
main settings panel. This option won't be used very much by users I
think. Same for ignored characters with shift. Also an inexperienced
user could enter characters here accidentally...

2. Ease of Access/Toggle Keys: I could write it in the readme and
shows a message during add-on installation.

3. Security: some users could want to use this add-on in secure
screens, others not. I think a good idea might be to disable it when
the focus is on a password field; with an option to enable or disable
this behavior.
with "Don't beep for passwords" enabled by default.
Usually I use headphones, but I wouln't like to write my paypal
password with speakers and this add-on enabled.

Currently, I don't know how to decouple existing Ease of Access
functionality from this add-on. But the option to beep with toggle
keys is disabled by default, the user can enable it or disable if
he/she has conflicts with Ease of Access/Toggle Keys.

Regards,
David.

[...]

Hi.

I have now seen the best value from this add-on. If speak typed characters is turned off, the beep will still be heard when typing uppercase characters. This is not the default behaviour with NVDA.

DaVid

Sorry. Its built-in in NVDA. tis add-on is for typed characters only.

About second question: you should use Escape Sequences for special
keys. E.G. \t for tab, \r for enter key, \b for backspace, etc.
if your keyboard can't print a specific symbol, probably you won't
need to set it. hehe.
You can't set here function keys. E.G. f keys, arrows, alt, control, ETC.

Regards,
David.

<marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io>:

David,

Follow or add me on Facebook <https://facebook.com/coolbutpsycho>

[...]

Noelia Ruiz

Hello: When you declare the add-on stable, optionally you can request us for registering it in the general NVDA translation system, if you dont want to manage translations yourself with particular translators. If so, we need to delete translations from stable branch before proceed, I inform you in case you dont want to complete translations for now. I am in charge of registering add-ons, so if you want to do it and I dont read any related message, feel free to repeat it privately, though I will pay attention.
Cheers

Enviado desde mi iPhone

You wrote:
[...]

Em 15/04/2019 15:39, DaVid disse:
About second question: you should use Escape Sequences for special
keys. E.G. \t for tab, \r for enter key, \b for backspace, etc.
David,
Please, can you explain it a little bit more? By the way, contact me off-list if you want to.
As you said, for example, "|t" for tab, I thought I could simply type "\t" on that field and it would be replaced with the tab character. Sure enough, it doesn't happened at all and all I get was exactly what I've typed.

if your keyboard can't print a specific symbol, probably you won't
need to set it. hehe.
I was just curious. My appologies for being this kind of guy with so many and sometimes unnecessary questions haha.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

DaVid

Hi, I added some changes to this add-on.
Now this add-on won't beep on password fields, but you can change it
on beep keyboard settings. Added integer validation for tone pitch,
length and volume parameters.
Updated english readme. updated french and spanish languages.

Link:
https://github.com/david-acm/beepKeyboard/releases/download/v0.3a2/beepKeyboard-0.3a2.nvda-addon

DaVid

Thanks Noelia. Currently I have spanish and french languages, I can't
add more languages to it. So I'll be glad if you and team can help me.
:)

Regards,
David.

You wrote:
[...]

Hi marcio, the add-on converts it internally. So \t will be
interpreted as a tab, etc. Is just for special keys. If you can print
a character with your keyboard, use it.

[...]

As I always say when this request comes up:
I would, and I'll be glad to help translating it to Portuguese. Trouble is, I don't know ANYTHING AT ALL of working with GitHub :(
Even so, if anyone at some point happen to be willing to help me with it, maybe I can work my way through.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 15/04/2019 20:21, DaVid disse:

[...]

<marcinhorj21@...>:
David,
You wrote:
[...]

Oh, got it now. Thanks and sorry again...

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 15/04/2019 20:23, DaVid disse: