Topics

Translate 2019.03 released #addon #review

Yannick PLASSIARD <plassiardyannick@...>

Dear all,
The NVDA Translate module has just been released and is ready for review:

You can download binary from here:

Changes:
* All translations are now stored within a cache file so that they are not asked to Google each time the same text is translated.

This feature will eventually allow to separate cache files per application in a future release for easier translation sharing between users.

Happy reviewing,

Yannick

Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

Nikola Jovic

Thanks a lot for your great addon. Could you add a possibility to
choose a different language from NVDA's language? Maybe a panel in
NVDA settings for that would be really appreciated.

On 3/14/19, Yannick PLASSIARD <plassiardyannick@...> wrote:
Dear all,
The NVDA Translate module has just been released and is ready for review:
https://github.com/yplassiard/nvda-translate/releases/tag/v2019.03

You can download binary from here:
https://github.com/yplassiard/nvda-translate/releases/download/v2019.03/translate-2019.03.nvda-addon

Changes:
* All translations are now stored within a cache file so that they are not
asked to Google each time the same text is translated.

This feature will eventually allow to separate cache files per application
in a future release for easier translation sharing between users.

Happy reviewing,

Yannick

Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

Noelia Ruiz

Hello, thanks for your work.
These are my results for basic review. Below, comments that you may or not consider:

Basic review:

- License and copyright: Pass.
- Security: Pass.
- Documentation: Pass.
- User experience: may need improvements (yellow light):
*. Heading levels, for example, level 1, and position objects (for example, 1 of 2), at least in some cases are not translated.
* The cache seems to be stored in the config path used for installed copies, but in the documentation I don't see this restriction for portable copies, so I think this needs to be improved to find user experience requirements. I recommend you to see the add-on guidelines, where you could find info about the recommended way to use config paths for add-ons and other suggestions.

Optional comments: Your code is very well commented and this makes easy the review, thanks a lot! Also, I would recommend you to use tabs instead of 4 spaces for better management with screen readers, to make even easier the work to reviewers.
This is all for now, more comments or suggestions could be done later.

Cheers

El 14/03/2019 a las 12:17, Yannick PLASSIARD escribió:
Dear all,
The NVDA Translate module has just been released and is ready for review:
https://github.com/yplassiard/nvda-translate/releases/tag/v2019.03
You can download binary from here:
https://github.com/yplassiard/nvda-translate/releases/download/v2019.03/translate-2019.03.nvda-addon
Changes:
* All translations are now stored within a cache file so that they are not asked to Google each time the same text is translated.
This feature will eventually allow to separate cache files per application in a future release for easier translation sharing between users.
Happy reviewing,
Yannick
Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@... <mailto:plassiardyannick@...>

Yannick PLASSIARD <plassiardyannick@...>

Hi,

Many thanks for your review, a new release has been posted to address your comments, feel free to tell me if you see anything else; if this is not the case, I think the add-on may go live on the website, at least as a beta release.
What do you think?

Thanks

Yannick

Le ven. 15 mars 2019 à 06:56, Noelia Ruiz <nrm1977@...> a écrit :
Hello, thanks for your work.
These are my results for basic review. Below, comments that you may or
not consider:

Basic review:

- License and copyright: Pass.
- Security: Pass.
- Documentation: Pass.
- User experience: may need improvements (yellow light):
        *. Heading levels, for example, level 1, and position objects (for
example, 1 of 2), at least in some cases are not translated.
        * The cache seems to be stored in the config path used for installed
copies, but in the documentation I don't see this restriction for
portable copies, so I think this needs to be improved to find user
experience requirements. I recommend you to see the add-on guidelines,
where you could find info about the recommended way to use config paths
for add-ons and other suggestions.

Optional comments: Your code is very well commented and this makes easy
the review, thanks a lot! Also, I would recommend you to use tabs
instead of 4 spaces for better management with screen readers, to make
even easier the work to reviewers.
This is all for now, more comments or suggestions could be done later.

Cheers

El 14/03/2019 a las 12:17, Yannick PLASSIARD escribió:
> Dear all,
> The NVDA Translate module has just been released and is ready for review:
> https://github.com/yplassiard/nvda-translate/releases/tag/v2019.03
>
> You can download binary from here:
> https://github.com/yplassiard/nvda-translate/releases/download/v2019.03/translate-2019.03.nvda-addon
>
> Changes:
> * All translations are now stored within a cache file so that they are
> not asked to Google each time the same text is translated.
>
> This feature will eventually allow to separate cache files per
> application in a future release for easier translation sharing between
> users.
>
> Happy reviewing,
>
> Yannick
>
> --
> --
> Yannick PLASSIARD
> plassiardyannick@... <mailto:plassiardyannick@...>

Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

Noelia Ruiz

I agree. If you have address my comments, I will post it after job, in
about 7 hours.
Please let me know if you want me to post just a stable version, or
stable and dev, if you plan to update the add-on with new beta
features and would like to keep two links, one for stable and other
for development.
If so, you may want to update the readme, and also fix tipos there.
Moreover, let me know if we should register the add-on on the
translation system.

Thanks

Link: https://github.com/yplassiard/nvda-translate/releases/tag/v2019.03.1

[...]

Hi again, I have installed 2019.03.1 and I have the same issue when
NVDA reports the level of headings in browse mode (pressing h) and
position of objects, for example pressing a character to move to an
item in the desktop.

<nrm1977=gmail.com@groups.io>:

[...]

I think it is stable enough to be put in the stable channel,
I'll update the add-on in the coming hours to point out to the stable channel, and maybe hopefully fix the "null translation" issue.

Will keep you posted.
Thanks

<nrm1977=gmail.com@groups.io>:
> I agree. If you have address my comments, I will post it after job, in
> about 7 hours.
> Please let me know if you want me to post just a stable version, or
> stable and dev, if you plan to update the add-on with new beta
> features and would like to keep two links, one for stable and other
> for development.
> If so, you may want to update the readme, and also fix tipos there.
> Moreover, let me know if we should register the add-on on the
> translation system.
>
> Thanks

>> Hi,
>>
>> Many thanks for your review, a new release has been posted to address
>> your
>> comments, feel free to tell me if you see anything else; if this is not
>> the
>> case, I think the add-on may go live on the website, at least as a beta
>> release.
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Link:
>> https://github.com/yplassiard/nvda-translate/releases/tag/v2019.03.1
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Yannick
>>
>> Le ven. 15 mars 2019 à 06:56, Noelia Ruiz <nrm1977@...> a écrit :
>>
>>> Hello, thanks for your work.
>>> These are my results for basic review. Below, comments that you may or
>>> not consider:
>>>
>>> Basic review:
>>>
>>> - License and copyright: Pass.
>>> - Security: Pass.
>>> - Documentation: Pass.
>>> - User experience: may need improvements (yellow light):
>>>         *. Heading levels, for example, level 1, and position objects
>>> (for
>>> example, 1 of 2), at least in some cases are not translated.
>>>         * The cache seems to be stored in the config path used for
>>> installed
>>> copies, but in the documentation I don't see this restriction for
>>> portable copies, so I think this needs to be improved to find user
>>> experience requirements. I recommend you to see the add-on guidelines,
>>> where you could find info about the recommended way to use config paths
>>> for add-ons and other suggestions.
>>>
>>> Optional comments: Your code is very well commented and this makes easy
>>> the review, thanks a lot! Also, I would recommend you to use tabs
>>> instead of 4 spaces for better management with screen readers, to make
>>> even easier the work to reviewers.
>>> This is all for now, more comments or suggestions could be done later.
>>>
>>> Cheers

>>> https://github.com/yplassiard/nvda-translate/releases/download/v2019.03/translate-2019.03.nvda-addon

>> --
>> --
>> Yannick PLASSIARD
>> plassiardyannick@...

Yannick PLASSIARD
plassiardyannick@...

Noelia Ruiz

OK, though for add-on updater, in the addonTemplate, channel should be None.
I have seen some tipo errors in the readme too.
But this is basic review. It can be posted on the website and people
will test it, so you can address more comments.

<plassiardyannick@...
: