WX.Menu item help text: where is it used?

Luke Davis

Hello

I asked this on nvda-devel, but got no answer. Either It's a really hard question, or it's a really stupid question. :)

If I call something like:

gui.mainFrame.sysTrayIcon.preferencesMenu.Append(wx.ID_ANY, _("&menuItemName..."), _("Some descriptive text"))

where will "Some descriptive text" be used?

WX calls this "help", so I thought I would find it in a mouse hover or tooltip of some kind, but in attempting this with both the keyboard and the actual mouse, I can not get anything spoken.

The docs for WX.Menu 4.1.0 say:

An optional help string associated with the item. By default, the handler for the wxEVT_MENU_HIGHLIGHT event
displays this string in the status line.

Which helps me not at all to know where and how our menu system uses this data.

Thanks