Re: NVDA Developer Guide: Question about how to make addons using standard NotePad

Luke Davis

How to do it--yes, I agree that anyone able to program anything should be able to figure this out, or look it up. But the knowledge that it must be done--not so much.
Currently, there is nothing at all that I can find in NVDA documentation that specifies that UTF-8 is the required encoding for files.

That said, because NVDA is a multi-lingual piece of software, it does stand to reason that UTF-8 would almost have to be the encoding used.

To understand this subject better, the following might be of use:
https://hackernoon.com/encoding-the-python-source-code-file-445722836813?gi=54eff73cf3c0

Luke

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019, DaVid wrote:

I never tried AkelPad. Is autocompletion feature accessible on this editor?

Mmm, we don't need understand about encodings to know how to save a
file in UTF-8...
I mean that an user who learn to develop python and add-ons, has
research skills to discover simple things like choose the encoding on
the save file dialog of notepad. I myself learned programming before
understand encodings,I saved my files in UTF-8 because was the
recommendation in the tutoriales that I read. So the recommendation
about unicode should be there.

Regards,
DaVid.

<bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>: