Re: NVDA Developer Guide: Question about how to make addons using standard NotePad

Luke Davis

There is nothing really special about a .py file, it is just a text file with a different extension (not .txt).

The nice thing about Notepad++, is that it has auto-indentation, and re-opens last open files, and so on. But other than that, it is editing in text just like Notepad.

It might also be easier to change character encodings in Notepad++, but I haven't really explored that.

So, all of that is to say, there really is no special procedure.
You can open a notepad session, write your code, and save it with a .py extension. You will have to do your own indenting, but if you're used to writing Python that should be no problem.

Any text editor which does not wrap lines should be fine for this.

Luke

On Sun, 9 Jun 2019, Daniel Gartmann wrote:

Hi,

I tried to find information about how to make an add-on using the built-in Notepad application instead of having to install NotePad++.

The use case is as follows:
You go to another person’s computer to make NVDA behave better for that particular user in a specific situation.

Other screenreaders have built-in script editors e.g the JAWS Script Editor. But when using NVDA, we are told to use NotePad++.

It is, however, not possible to install NotePad++ if, for instance, you are in a corporate environment or some other restricted setting.

So. What is the procedure to make a .py file in Notepad and save it in the correct format?

Could it be included in the NVDA Developer guide?

Just a suggestion so that NVDA’s customizations can be made easier in more places.

Daniel