From: "Robert Hänggi" <aarjay.robert@...>
To: <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 11:31 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] Windows 10 App Essentials 19.06 released, add-on development plan for the next few months #AddonRelease

I don't know but is dropping support for a OS version barely one year
old not a bit hasty?
I ask because I had recently to refurbish my computer. The
accompanying Windows CD wasn't the newest. Thus the laptop was quite
sometimes running on the old OS before the internet was working and
all updates could be installed.
Fortunately, WinTen essentials is not quite that essential (sorry the
pun) as e.g. NVDA core.
Robert

On 23/05/2019, Joseph Lee <@joslee> wrote:
Hi all,

Windows 10 App Essentials 19.06 is now available. This release improves
support for just released Windows 10 Version 1903 (May 2019 Update),
specifically when it comes to modern keyboard.

In addition, here's what will happen with this add-on in the next few
months:

1. End of support countdown for Version 1803 (April 2018 Update): as of
May 27, 2019 (which will be Memorial Day in United States), end of support
countdown for Windows 10 Version 1803 will be in effect. This means at
least
60 days from that date, Windows 10 App Essentials add-on will drop support
for that version of Windows 10; future releases from that point on will
require Version 1809 (October 2018 Update). This may change under two
conditions: a major upgrade bug is found in Version 1903 (May 2019 Update)
that results in data loss or similar catastrophes, or a critical change is
made to NVDA that necessitates extending end of support for Version 1803.
The former is unlikely, while the latter may happen, and if one of these
should happen, support will be extended to end of August and no more after
that.
2. Version 1803 and development snapshot releases: if you are using
development builds of this add-on, Version 1803 will be dropped sooner - no
later than June 22, 2019, which is exactly a month from today. There will
be
no support extension for development build users.
3. Upcoming development builds may require NVDA 2019.1 or later: some
of you may have noticed that recent development builds of this add-on does
not install on NVDA releases earlier than 2019.1. This was done so I can
test what happens if strictly NVDA 2019.1 code is used in this add-on. This
will continue for a while.
4. NVDA version jump: typically I support current and most recent NVDA
releases in this add-on (currently 2018.4 and 2019.1.x). However, once
Project Threshold is given a green light by NV Access people (not yet at
the
moment) and once that project is released to the general public (as a
stable
version, not a snapshot or RC), I will initiate version jump - Windows 10
App Essentials will require stable Threshold version of NVDA. However,
given
that one of the anticipated changes deal with Python 3 and due to problems
it may bring, I will give you at least 60 days grace period, with the start
and end dates to be determined then.

Regarding version jump as a result of Project Threshold: it won't be
limited
to Windows 10 App Essentials. I will announce more details in regards to my
add-ons in a future email.