Re: Version 19.04 of Add-on Updater, Windows 10 App Essentials, StationPlaylist Studio #addonrelease

Another thing, if an addon needs a later version of nvda and your system is detected to support it you should be asked if you want to update or nvda will update before the addons do.

In fact nvda should always get higher priority over addons for updating, checking for updates for nvda should check for updates to addons.

When this does happen, before updating you should get a page or box with links, with the addon version, the name, and a link to changelogs for that release and same with nvda.

I know thats a major expantion but I really loath software that updates and doesn't tell you why.

On 6/04/2019 6:31 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Background updating: something I’m thinking about at the moment, most likely it’ll be done after this add-on is merged into NVDA in the future.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Friday, April 5, 2019 10:28 AM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] Version 19.04 of Add-on Updater, Windows 10 App Essentials, StationPlaylist Studio #AddonRelease

To be honest joseph while this shouldn't be a big issue, sometimes when not concentrating the list can get up for a while but usually doesn't.

On some really slow connections the updater can actually not work right if say you have a really bad wireless signal.

Thats by the bye.

I guess the updater could have a option where it would download all the updates for addons in the background, then say you have updates, and ask you to install them, or simply install all updates if you set it to do that and ask you to restart meaning you wouldn't ever need the window to display.

Seriously though if you see the box and know what it is you should just run whatever it is and be done with it its not going to take ages to do updates.

On 5/04/2019 10:16 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

If the add-on updates list was open, chances are that it was opened for a long time (say, more than five minutes). You need to be careful about this, as some add-on files are hosted on GitHub, which imposes a five minute timeout (this issue isn’t new, actually, and you’re not the first person nor the last user to report this limitation).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hrvoje Katic
Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2019 10:29 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] Version 19.04 of Add-on Updater, Windows 10 App Essentials, StationPlaylist Studio #AddonRelease

Hi,
The dialog with a list of addons to be updated was already displayed. Usually, I will first check the list to see which addons are available, and then I will choose the Update button.
Nevertheless, today I was able to perform the update without reinstalling the addon updater by visiting it's option in Tools menu.

LP,
Hrvoje
Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/djjukebox20
Facebook profile: www.facebook.com/hrvix
Twitter profile: www.twitter.com/hrvix

On 4.4.2019. 17:28, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

How long have you waited between the notification showing up and deciding to update add-ons?

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hrvoje Katic
Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2019 7:51 AM

Hi Joseph,
OK, I've tried updating Goldwave addon today with Addon Updater and it failed, and here's what log says:

Performing automatic update check
ERROR - updateCheck.UpdateDownloader._bg (16:47:14.081):
Error downloading https://github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com/62022977/7428bf80-560a-11e9-8dab-efcceaeaf0d3?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAIWNJYAX4CSVEH53A%2F20190404%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20190404T061106Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-Signature=cbf05ac889f0be1864f25b90b138d362ec82b3b388c332ec1c42f2d1980f0d2a&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&actor_id=0&response-content-disposition=attachment%3B%20filename%3Dgoldwave-19.04.nvda-addon&response-content-type=application%2Foctet-stream
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "updateCheck.pyc", line 593, in _bg
  File "C:\Users\hrvoj\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\addonUpdater\globalPlugins\addonUpdater\addonGuiEx.py", line 223, in _download
RuntimeError: Download failed with code 403

Again, note that workaround is to reinstall addon updater and retry the update.
Thanks!

LP,
Hrvoje

On 30.3.2019. 16:28, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

For the first issue: it’s the other way around – to stop updates for an add-on, you must check the add-on from “do not update” list.

For the second issue: I need a log to figure out what’s happening.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2019 3:33 AM

Hello Joseph and all,
There are fiew things I'd like to share.
1. On my laptop that I'm using at work, the installed OS is Windows 10 Enterprise. Since latest versions of Win 10 App Essentials is incompatible with this build (I think it's 10299), I've decide it tu disable it's automatic updating in Addon Updater. However, even if I uncheck it, Addon Updater keeps offering me an update. Is this a bug?
2. Addon Updater stops working properly on my home system (Windows 10 Pro V1809 build 17763.379) for unknown reason. When I update addons for the first time after installing Addon Updater, everything works well. However, next time when I try to update addons, Addon Updater gives me an error message for all addons that I try to update. The only workaround is to reinstall Addon Updater. Is this also a bug?
Thanks,

LP,
Hrvoje

On 29.3.2019. 2:33, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Another important thing about Windows 10 App Essentials: NVDA 2018.4 will be required.

Cheers,

Jsoeph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2019 6:30 PM
Subject: [nvda-addons] Version 19.04 of Add-on Updater, Windows 10 App Essentials, StationPlaylist Studio #AddonRelease

Hi all,

Version 19.04 for the following add-ons are out or will come out in the next few hours:

• Add-on Updater: now requires NVDA 2019.1. In compliance with add-on compatibility checks in NVDA, add-on updates will go through compatibility range checks (current NVDA release falls between minimum and last tested NVDA version range). This version also registers Image Describer so updates to that add-on can be checked.
  • StationPlaylist Studio: various bug fixes.
  • Windows 10 App Essentials: resolves some long-standing bugs, including Mail app closure bug (included in latest alpha release but not in stable) and NvDA announcing odd text in Settings app (it wasn’t live text, but rather an incorrectly labeled window).

For SPL Studio users:

1. Version 18.09.8-LTS will also hit the air in a few hours.
  2. After installing version 19.04 and when you start Studio 5.1x, you’ll be greeted with a message about end of support for that Studio release from the add-on. Studio add-on 19.06 will require Studio 5.20 and later.

Cheers,

Joseph

Join nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.