New add-on: enhancedAnnotations #addonrequestreview

Noelia Ruiz

Hello:

My intention is to send this addon to addonFiles to be included on the
website and registered in the translation system while NVDA issue
13940 is not addressed in NVDA's code.

I'll wait for a week or so waiting for feedback.

Enhanced Annotations
• Authors: George Kerscher, Noelia Ruiz Martínez
• (compatible with NVDA 2022.1 and beyond)
In the DAISY Consortium, best practices are developed for publishers
and authors for providing extended (long) descriptions.
The best practices use the HTML details element that follows the
image, or a link to another file that contains the extended
description.
In both options, the user would need to move to the details or the
link and activate it.
Having a keystroke to put focus on the details or the link is ideal.
Our best practices recommend that the details or the link immediately
follows the image, and if the link is followed, a back link to the
exact location must be provided. This makes it certain that the user
will not get lost.
However it is probable that authors in the wild will place the
extended (long) description almost anywhere. In these cases, the user
would want to return to the image and hence the need for a way to
return to the original image.
This add-on provides both features, in support of this issue opened in
NVDA's repository.
Commands
• NVDA+alt+d: moves the cursor to the element identified with aria-details.
• NVDA+alt+shift+d: moves the cursor to the original element, for
example, an image with furter details like a long description.
The above commands can be modified from NVDA's menu, Preferences
submenu, Input gestures dialog,

Webpage for info about related good practices and samples for testing
the add-on:
https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/daisy/transitiontoepub/blob/main/drafts/extended-desc/ExtendedDescriptionsBestPractices.html

Related issue:

Add-on repo:

https://github.com/nvdaes/enhancedAnnotations

Download version 1.0-dev:

https://github.com/nvdaes/enhancedAnnotations/releases/download/1.0-dev/enhancedAnnotations-1.0-dev.nvda-addon

Notes:
1. I use skipTranslation module, thanks to Alberto Buffolino.
2. George Kerscher is Chief Innovation at DAISY Consortium. I've
created this add-on in private conversations with DAISY people, and
George has requested this feature for NVDA, and has tested previous
versions of the plugin of this add-on.
3. The readme is based almost completely in the explanation provided
by George in the related issue of NVDA.

I think this is important to be included in NVDA. Reviews and tests
are appreciated.

Thanks