Re: Newby support, tips or advice

Lukasz Golonka

I've never worked with any DAW but from what I've gathered most of
accessibility for programs such as Reaper or Sonar relied on one (or both)
of the following techniques:
- Screen scraping that is collecting text from the screen in case of
NVDA via its GDI hooks. The best way to establish if this is even
workable for your software would be to switch to screen review and
explore the screen with numpad.
- Via some dedicated plugin such as OSARA for Reaper. This works only if
the DAW in question exposes some API.

All in all making software like this accessible would be a major
undertaking and not really something which I would recommend as a first
project in NVDA add-ons development. Also I don't want to discourage you
but perhaps a vises course of action would be to explore what Reaper
with OSARA has to offer - it is much easier to improve on something that
exists than to write your own thing from scratch.

--
Regards
Lukasz

On Wed, 16 Feb 2022 23:20:10 -0000
"John" <john@...> wrote:

Hi,

I'm a total newby to nvda addon development, newby to python and C++ but many years of web development in PHP, Javascript, MYSQL and associated frameworks. I have some basic understanding of both python and C++ have used NVDA, Supernova and Jaws screen readers.

My aim would be to write an addon for the Reason Studios DAW which currently has little to no screen reader support. The software is mostly graphically based with visual emulation of physical studio hardware including cabling. I don't believe it possible to make the software completely accessible but by making some key areas like the browser panel accessible will greatly improve things.

I have no idea what the software is built with but suspect C++ but can say there are both Windows and Mac versions and the Windows version doesn't confirm to many standard Windows UI controls accept for the top menu and perhaps the right-click context menu. The software makes use of many keyboard controls including Tab to toggle the virtual rack from front to back views.

The browser panel is toggled in/out of view with the F3 key and visually located on the left side of the apps window. The panel has both text and graphical icons and these act as both buttons, a tree list and a search text box. Neither Supernova or NVDA read the text from within this browser panel out of the box, so I assume some detection work will be needed to see if NVDA is able to interface with this app and identify the various objects inside this browser panel. I believe System Access screen reader was able to read the text from this browser panel in previous versions of Reason but I don't have this screen reader so am not able to test it.

I am visually impaired myself and have used Supernova from the late 80s when it was called Hal. I started using NVDA around its first release as a secondary screen reader and have only used Jaws demos now and then. I have python 3.7 installed on my Windows 10 pc with visualstudio19 and have done some very basic python scripts from the command line.

I appreciate I have lots to learn but if anyone can offer any helpful tips, advice or if anyone is up for the chalange to help work on an addon for Reason Studios 12 for Windows, please get back to us. I don't believe their is a huge demand for VI users working with Reason, in my own experience I have only found one other VI user of Reason here in the UK.

In general digital audio work station software tends to have a very low level of accessibility with previous popular choices being like CakeWalk with Jaws or ProTools or more recently Reaper again I believe with Jaws. Other audio software may include Audacity and GoldWaves and more recently Native Instruments NKS project to support their MIDI hardware range.

Thank you in advance,
John