Re: A global plugin problem

Lukasz Golonka

I've bundled pillow with my OCR add-on for Python 3 based NVDA
successfully in the past, so this is certainly possible. My folder layout
was as you've described i.e:
- A folder in the golbalPlugins folder of my add-on
- Inside it a __init__.py and an PIL folder.

In __init__.py I had the following code:

PLUGIN_DIR = os.path.dirname(__file__)

# Pillow requires pathlib which is not bundled with NVDA
# Therefore place it in the plugin directory and add it temporarily to PYTHONPATH
sys.path.append(PLUGIN_DIR)
from .PIL import ImageGrab
from .PIL import Image
del sys.path[-1]

If you want feel free to send a zip file of the plugin and I can take a
look.

--
HTH
Lukasz

On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 16:02:21 -0500
"Ken Perry" <kperry@...> wrote:

Ah Ok to be clear about the whole process.

I have created a Graphiti folder which will be a global plugin. This plugin
worked in the past. It is currently under scratchpad global plugins.

I used pip in my windows python3.7.2 since that is what I saw NVDA was using
to pip install pillow and aenum. My test program to do what I want the
plugin to do works fine outside of NVDA.

I Then copied pil, a pil folder from site-packages, pillow dist file and
aenum from the site-packages folder and an aenum file into the graphiti
folder.
I also have one Graphiti.py in the graphiti folder that is the code that
controls the graphiti. Finally I have the script for NVDA __init__.py

All of that is in the graphiti folder. I copied it using the windows GUI
copy so it should have copied the entire folder. I do wish that NVDA had a
pip of its own or some system that add-ons or plugins could add libraries
without copying.

This all worked in the older nvda. Again I test by commenting out the
librarys and the plugin is definitely being activated because I can see my
messages. I am more than willing to zip this up if experts out there think
they can see the problem.

Ken