Re: A global plugin problem

Hi,

You must use relative import like so:

from . import modname

This, by the way, also works in Python 2.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ken Perry
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2022 7:14 PM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] A global plugin problem

I don’t mind saying exactly what it is.  I do wish there was  a generic answer.  This is to fix the Graphiti plugin.  It is for a demo unit.  My file structure right now looks something like this

Scratchpad/ globalPlugins/Graphiti/__init__.py

Scratchpad/ globalPlugins/graphiti/graphiti.py

The code in __init__.py looks like:

Import graphiti

The graphiti class is the driver for the device.  I use it in other programs with no problem just like this and it worked when I used it in the global plugin for the older version of NV DA.  I have updated the Graphiti.py and the __init__.py and the __init__.py works if I replace the use of the graphiti.py with messages to test it.  The error in the log is on the line where the import graphiti is and the log says it can’t find the graphiti module.

Ken

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Travis Roth
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2022 10:04 PM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] A global plugin problem

I think this changed in python3 and I usually have to mess around until it works. I don’t know the directory structure you have, but for something like

\addon\appModules\appllicationName

If you then have __init__.py and myModule.py and myFunctions.py you need to tell it to look in the current directory for other files in that folder such as

import .myModule

from .myFunctions import makeBraille, makeSpeech

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ken Perry
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2022 8:27 PM
To: nvda-addons@groups.io
Subject: [nvda-addons] A global plugin problem

I have an old global plug in for before NVDA was switched to  3.x   It worked fine and I have fixed all the problems that have to do with the difference in python types.

Here is the problem I have several python files in the global plugin.  The

__init__.py file has an import like this:

Import myclass

Then there is a file in the same folder

Myclass.py

The global plugin can not find the file I am importing.  It used to work fine is there some new thing I have to do to let the global plugin know where my other classes are? Note I have my global plugin in a folder like myplugin under the developer scratchpad folder and I know it is at least being found because if I take the class I am importing out the key press works fine and presents the message I want it to.     In the log though it says it can’t find myclass module.

Ken

Join nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.