Re: Changing the behavior of left and right arrows?

Meisam Amini

Tried it. It doesn't work with the latest version of NVDA.

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 12:07 AM Chris via groups.io <chrismedley=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Or you could save yourself all the trouble and download the enhanced phonetic reading add-on

https://github.com/davidacm/EnhancedPhoneticReading/releases/tag/0.5a2

From: Meisam Amini
Sent: 21 November 2021 19:55
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: [nvda-addons] Changing the behavior of left and right arrows?

Hello.

I'm severely hearing impaired in addition to being blind, and use phonetic equivalent of letters a lot. But NVDA's phonetic announcement feature isn't really enough for me and I have to constantly double-press numpad2 to hear the phonetic word for a letter.

I have been trying to write an add-on to bring the behavior of JAWS and TalkBack to NVDA, that is, announcing the phonetic equivalent of a letter after a pause. I've been able to do this for the review cursor by copying the scripts for numpad1, numpad2, and numpad3 keys from globalCommands.py module into my global plug-in and modifying them. But as much as I try, I can't find a way to do the same for left and right arrows.

After searching for a while, I found a script in cursorManager.py for left and right arrows, but they just run a method inside cursorManager.py and I can't replace that method. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.