Re: Commits forwarding

James Scholes

I want to short-circuit this conversation, because it's not a productive debate to be having. Regardless of this list's development focus, a majority of the member base use a screen reader, which makes them screen reader users. It follows, therefore, that the wording of repeated subject lines should ideally take that fact into account, and not needlessly repeat something like "Recent Commits to addonFiles colon master", which is 12 syllables and irritating to hear over and over again. Whether or not a given list member has a development background and/or interest is not relevant.

That is my usability-related opinion, given that most of those users won't be able to simply scan their eyes past it to focus on the unique bits. People may agree or disagree, at their option, or tell me that I'm wrong because they have the expertise to add it to their speech dictionary or whatever. And that's fine. My overall opinion is that the forwarding of all commits to this list is a blunt tool, without nuance or finesse. But if we're going to do it, we should do it in the least irritating way possible.

On 05/08/2021 at 2:59 pm, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 11:57 AM, James Scholes wrote:

But I didn't say "end users", just "users".

-

To me, those two terms are synonymous.  Anyone who uses any given piece of software can be called a user or end user.

*/Is it progress if a cannibal uses knife and fork?/*

             ~ Stanislaw J. Lec