Re: This message is so that all users can reflect on this unusual but real situation!

Noelia Ruiz

Hello, discussions are welcome, but let's make them useful.
As the primary admin of this group, trying to foster that people can
talk in productive and helpfull discussions, I'd like to request the
following:

- If you have any concerns about the current review process, point out
the precisse aspect you'd like to improve and make a suggestion to do
it.

The current review process is documented at

https://addons.nvda-project.org/processes.en.html

- If you know add-ons not registered in the translations system and
you consider that the registration would be helpful, provide the
add-on name and request it to the author, providing instructions to do
that. The process is documented at

https://github.com/nvaccess/mrconfig

Yesterday, an issue template was included so people can request it to
Nv Access in a consistent way, and when the issue is properly sent,
GitHub Actions will check that a stable branch is created as required,
in nvdaaddons organization, and that the add-on can be built properly,
as well as the needed .pot file. A GitHub bot will confirm this. The
issue template provides a form to be completed.

Hello everyone,

I’m coming in not just as a member and an add-on author, but as the former
administrator/owner of this forum:

For those unaware: James Scholes is a moderator of this list.

As for the overall thread and the direction it has taken: it is really up to
add-on authors to influence the direction of an add-on with feedback from
people. As I said before, I believe it is time to take that factor more into
account rather than just basing support on translations alone.

As for making add-ons translatable: anyone using community add-on template
to package add-ons provide at least two translatable messages: user-visible
add-on name/summary, and add-on description. Beyond that, the functionality
of the add-on dictates additional translatable messages. Documentation can
be translated if translators receive it in a format that can handle doc
files easily.

An additional factor I think not a lot of us considered throughout this
discussion: a world-class screen reader is not defined solely on number of
languages it supports; that effort is internationalization and localization.
A world-class screen reader must be marketable, and there are factors beyond
translations such as friendliness of messages, user interface, support for
apps and accessibility standards that will decide the fate of a screen
reader such as NVDA. And you can’t translate a product into something
without thinking about messages users will see/hear/come across (I tend to
be serious about user-visible messages for this reason).

I understand that due to the intimate relationship between add-ons and
translations communities, folks may believe localization is the key to
success. Let me say again: that’s NOT the end of the story. The people who
have ultimate authority on any product (including NVDA add-on) are those
actively looking at the source of it all: source code that powers it.
Several people are in a unique position to act as either an add-on author or
a translator, but not both at the same time, and due to our unique position,
we can do our best to represent what different groups are saying. But this
is a forum mostly dedicated to add-on development, reviews, publishing, and
maintenance, and since there exists a dedicated forum for translators, I
would like to kindly advise that we focus more on how add-on authors can
improve our attitude and approach toward localizations.

By the way, a more serious request: I know that not many of us speak English
as a first language (including yours truly). But could we improve the
situation with subject line clarity in the future please?