Re: This message is so that all users can reflect on this unusual but real situation!

Hello everyone,

I’m coming in not just as a member and an add-on author, but as the former administrator/owner of this forum:

For those unaware: James Scholes is a moderator of this list.

As for the overall thread and the direction it has taken: it is really up to add-on authors to influence the direction of an add-on with feedback from people. As I said before, I believe it is time to take that factor more into account rather than just basing support on translations alone.

As for making add-ons translatable: anyone using community add-on template to package add-ons provide at least two translatable messages: user-visible add-on name/summary, and add-on description. Beyond that, the functionality of the add-on dictates additional translatable messages. Documentation can be translated if translators receive it in a format that can handle doc files easily.

An additional factor I think not a lot of us considered throughout this discussion: a world-class screen reader is not defined solely on number of languages it supports; that effort is internationalization and localization. A world-class screen reader must be marketable, and there are factors beyond translations such as friendliness of messages, user interface, support for apps and accessibility standards that will decide the fate of a screen reader such as NVDA. And you can’t translate a product into something without thinking about messages users will see/hear/come across (I tend to be serious about user-visible messages for this reason).

I understand that due to the intimate relationship between add-ons and translations communities, folks may believe localization is the key to success. Let me say again: that’s NOT the end of the story. The people who have ultimate authority on any product (including NVDA add-on) are those actively looking at the source of it all: source code that powers it. Several people are in a unique position to act as either an add-on author or a translator, but not both at the same time, and due to our unique position, we can do our best to represent what different groups are saying. But this is a forum mostly dedicated to add-on development, reviews, publishing, and maintenance, and since there exists a dedicated forum for translators, I would like to kindly advise that we focus more on how add-on authors can improve our attitude and approach toward localizations.

By the way, a more serious request: I know that not many of us speak English as a first language (including yours truly). But could we improve the situation with subject line clarity in the future please?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 4:21 PM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] This message is so that all users can reflect on this unusual but real situation!

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 07:10 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:

An add-on to be classified as official should, like NVDA, be able to be translated...

-
I would have absolutely no problem with that going forward provided:

1.  What already exists is grandfathered in, as is, unless someone were willing to make the commitment to picking up the torch to make the existing code such that localization/translation is possible.  There is no good justification for pulling official add-ons that have been around for very long periods, and have large user bases, because they happen to have been created prior to a new requirement.

2.  An "officially hosted" venue for "unofficial"/home-grown add-ons come into existence.

Presence in the unofficial/home-grown venue would serve as a clear indication that many of the expectations that go with official add-ons may not apply.  That's why I want a true Community Add-Ons Site, not a single page, where different classes of add-ons can be centralized in one place.
--
Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

Is it progress if a cannibal uses knife and fork?

~ Stanislaw J. Lec

Join nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.