Re: requesting review of the SPRITEs Table Navigation for Chrome addon

Wen Qiu

Hi everyone! My name is Wen and I am Venkatesh’s teammate on the Sprites add-on development.

Thank you James for pointing out the security issue, and we investigated other add-ons for ways to address it. Since we still want to keep the log file to be in the same folder as the NVDA config file, one example we have found is ReadFeeds, which obtains the config file path via globalVars.appArgs.configPath. In that case, instead of writing

path = os.path.join(os.environ['APPDATA'], 'nvda\\sprites')

We will have something like:

path = os.path.join(globalVars.appArgs.configPath, 'sprites')

Could you please let us know if this solution would address the portable copy issue? If not, it would be great if you could suggest an alternative or point us to some add-on examples that safely write to a local file on a user’s computer.

And Rui, sorry to hear that the add-on is still not working for you. If you could answer the following questions and give us more details about your add-on usage, it would be greatly appreciated:

  1. How were you testing the add-on? Did you install a build of the add-on or copy the add-on folder into the scratchpad?

  2. Are there any exceptions shown in the NVDA logs? If not, it is possible that the exceptions have been intercepted by our logging mechanism, so it would be great if you can send us the content of your log file, which should be in the sprites folder in the same directory as the NVDA config file. You can also go to the NVDA preference menu, then Settings, then the Sprites submenu, and there should be a button that opens the folder where the log file is located.

Thank you so much again for your patience and feedback.

Best wishes, Wen