Re: Important notices on upcoming add-on releases from Joseph Lee: NVDA 2020.4 requirement and other announcements

Hi,
I might refine exclusions list in a future release.
As for the name of the add-on: it is intentional as Add-on Updater is really meant to test add-on update capability in NVDA Core. The add-on itself will be discontinued once that functionality becomes part of NVDA.

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Hänggi
Sent: Thursday, April 1, 2021 1:22 PM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] Important notices on upcoming add-on releases from Joseph Lee: NVDA 2020.4 requirement and other announcements

Another quick notice.
Could you please refine the add-ons exclusion list so that only those are listed that are really supported through the AU database.
PS. The add-on name should actually reflect the fact that only add-ons from the community website are updatable.
In other words, it should be named something like Community Add-Ons updater.
The current name and the fact that all installed add-ons are listed is deceiving and suggests that any other add-on resources are included as well.
Thanks
Robert

On 01/04/2021, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

After receiving comments on Add-on Updater 21.03 release, I figured it
would be best to make some announcements about upcoming add-on
releases:

* Future add-ons will require NVDA 2020.4 or later: Add-on Updater
21.03 is the first add-on to require NVDA 2020.4. This requirement
will be in effect for the next release of Resource Monitor and
StationPlaylist (scheduled for next week at the earliest) due to
changes introduced in this NVDA release that add-ons will take
advantage of (clipboard announcement in Resource Monitor, fixes
required to support track column announcements in StationPlaylist).
* Add-on Updater offers older releases of some add-ons: don't worry
about this, as it is not the fault of Add-on Updater. I expect this
issue will be resolved once updates to affected add-ons are released.
* No May 2021 release for Windows 10 App Essentials: usually I release
updates to this add-on on a monthly basis. But I'm skipping May
release
(21.05) in order to assist with NVDA 2021.1 testing.
* StationPlaylist add-on maintenance is slowly coming to a close:
version 21.04 of this add-on (coming as early as next week) will be
one of the last releases of SPL add-on from me. After this release,
only localization and critical bug fixes will be released until early
fall. I will maintain SPL add-on until December 31, 2021, and I hope
the community can maintain it after that point.
* ObjPad 21.04 emergency update: although I stopped maintaining this
add-on for a while, upon request from community members, I'll release
an emergency version of ObjPad add-on to make it compatible with
upcoming NVDA 2021.1.
* NVDA 2021.1 will be required at least 60 days after its release: due
to massive changes introduced in upcoming NVDA 2021.1, most of my
add-ons will require this NVDA release. This won't take effect until
at least 60 days after NVDA 2021.1 is released in order to give you
time to check other add-ons and upgrade to NVDA 2021.1.