Re: New WordNav add-on - review requested

Tony Malykh

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for review.

1. I fixed UI message that said SentenceNav instead of WordNav

2. Logging path doesn't matter since debug is set to False. I would like to leave this clause primarily for myself, as it happens, in the future I often need to debug things when users report problems with my add-ons, and in this case I can just simply set debug=True. In the past I had to copy logging functions every time I had to debug something and it was pretty annoying, so at some point I decided to just leave them in place, although they are disabled for all users.  But this would indeed only work on my computer. Since I am the only maintainer of my add-ons, this shouldn't be a problem to anyone.
3. Fixed readme as per your suggestion.
Best
--Tony

On 12/14/2020 9:50 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Basic review results;
* License and copyright: pass
* Documentation: pass
* User experience: pass (with comments)
* Security: pass(with comments)

Comments:
* I think it would be great to look at user interface messages as at least one message says "SentenceNav".
* When logging information, can you guarantee that the Dropbox path does exist on a user's system?
* In the readme, I think it would be helpful to point out that you should turn off Control+Windows+arrow keys if you are planning to use virtual desktops on Windows 10.

Based on what we have, if UI messages can be improved, it should be good to go (also keep the original concerns folks raised, too). Further testing and comments from others are appreciated.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee via groups.io
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2020 9:23 PM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] New WordNav add-on - review requested

Hi,
Regarding the second item: one more thing to consider is that some keyboard layouts do NOT let you use right Control+arrows for things. This is the case in Korean IME where right Control key is used to convert Korean text (Hangul) into Hanja (Chinese character representation). Of course one can unassign this gesture from the add-on side (via input gestures dialog), but consider that not all users who will meet this add-on are familiar with this step.
Nevertheless, I will submit a basic review.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tony Malykh
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2020 9:16 PM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] New WordNav add-on - review requested

> what would happen if a user defines multiple virtual desktops on Windows 10 and wish to move amongst them quickly without opening Task View?

Then that user can leave Control+Windows+Arrows unassigned.

> Another thing to look into is the fact that certain languages do not have definable "word boundary

Then no need to use WordNav.. Or optionally there is a way to leave for example native behavior for Left Control+Arrows, and redefine Right Control + arrows if such user wants to use only some features of WordNav.

On 12/14/2020 7:15 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
One major thing to resolve: what would happen if a user defines multiple virtual desktops on Windows 10 and wish to move amongst them quickly without opening Task View? Another thing to look into is the fact that certain languages do not have definable "word boundary".
Cheers,
Joseph

<nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tony Malykh
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2020 7:05 PM
To: nvda-addons <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda-addons] New WordNav add-on - review requested

Hello,
I present my new add-on WordNav and I would like to have it reviewed.
WordNav improves word navigation commands (Control+Left/Right arrows)
in NVDA. It works in both editables and browse mode. It provides 4
different version of word navigation commands, depending on how do we
define a word, and allows them all to be assigned to either
control+arrows or control+windows+arrows commands. Those different
control+word
deinitions are:
• Left Control+Arrows: Notepad++ definition, that treats alphanumeric characters as words, and adjacent punctuation marks are also treated as words. This should be the most convenient word definition for the majority of users.
• RightControl+Arrows: Fine word definition splits camelCaseIdentifiers and underscore_separated_identifiers into separate parts, thus allowing the cursor to go into long identifiers.
• LeftControl+Windows+Arros: Bulky word definition treats almost all punctuation symbols adjacent to text as part of a single word, therefore it would treat paths like C:\directory\subdirectory\file.txt as a single word.
• RightControl+Windows+Arros: Multiword definition, that groups several words together. The amount of words is configurable.
Another issue that WordNav is trying to fix is inconsistency between NVDA word definition and word definition in applications. There have been multiple issues of that nature, when the program moves cursor according to one definition, and NVDA assumes another, and that leads to either words being pronounced twice, or some words being skipped. Since wordNav doesn't send Control+Arrows gesture to applications, but it instead parses the whole line itself, it serves as a workaround for this type of issues.

Download:
https://github.com/mltony/nvda-word-nav/releases/latest/download/wordN
av.nvda-addon
https://github.com/mltony/nvda-word-nav/

Best regards
Tony

Join nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.