From: "Damien Garwood" <@daygar>
To: <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2020 10:46 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] Suggest edit for NVDA Add on Development Guide #addon #addon

Hi Joseph,
Sheesh. No wonder I no longer understand programming if the centre of that universe involves Linux.
I can guarantee you that a beginner will not feel comfortable using Linux unless they have no qualms in breaking things. I run my webserver on Linux, and despite even now, after working with it for a few years, continuing to follow instructions parrot-style, not understanding what I'm doing or why I'm doing it, I still feel queasy every time I have to log into it, almost as if one wrong move will plummet me to my death just as much as the machine!
Add virtual machines and environments to that, and that puts me straight off the road. I wouldn't even feel comfortable touching that without at least a good few one-to-one tutorials, and this is me who has experimented with and tried to learn about the technical aspects of computers for a good fifteen years. I will do whatever in the world it takes to avoid a reformat/reinstall situation because I've broken something that's way too big for my boots, out of ignorance.
Not to mention. NVDA is a very Windows-centric system, so in my mind using a Linux development environment just doesn't make logical sense. But then again, what do I know? I'm fast learning that programming is no longer just about typing a few commands, hitting a compile button, and hitting an upload button like it used to be. I'm fast lagging behind the times, it seems, and now I'm floundering in the dark like a trapped bear in a snare. So for all I know my opinion might be worth nothing more than pleading for a saviour. So I guess, make of it what you will.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 17/10/2020 10:07 am, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,

A much better idea, although might not be feasible for some, is switching to WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) for add-on building tasks. You might not be able to send a pull request for add-on dev guide as it is a wiki page.