Re: Suggest edit for NVDA Add on Development Guide #addon

Brian's Mail list account

I do agree. It often seems to me that new terms suddenly appear as well, like most recent, Linting, which are about as transparent as to what they are as a block of reinforced concrete. grin

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
Newsgroup monitored: alt.comp.blind-users

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2020 10:46 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda-addons] Suggest edit for NVDA Add on Development Guide #addon #addon

Hi Joseph,
Sheesh. No wonder I no longer understand programming if the centre of that universe involves Linux.
I can guarantee you that a beginner will not feel comfortable using Linux unless they have no qualms in breaking things. I run my webserver on Linux, and despite even now, after working with it for a few years, continuing to follow instructions parrot-style, not understanding what I'm doing or why I'm doing it, I still feel queasy every time I have to log into it, almost as if one wrong move will plummet me to my death just as much as the machine!
Add virtual machines and environments to that, and that puts me straight off the road. I wouldn't even feel comfortable touching that without at least a good few one-to-one tutorials, and this is me who has experimented with and tried to learn about the technical aspects of computers for a good fifteen years. I will do whatever in the world it takes to avoid a reformat/reinstall situation because I've broken something that's way too big for my boots, out of ignorance.
Not to mention. NVDA is a very Windows-centric system, so in my mind using a Linux development environment just doesn't make logical sense. But then again, what do I know? I'm fast learning that programming is no longer just about typing a few commands, hitting a compile button, and hitting an upload button like it used to be. I'm fast lagging behind the times, it seems, and now I'm floundering in the dark like a trapped bear in a snare. So for all I know my opinion might be worth nothing more than pleading for a saviour. So I guess, make of it what you will.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 17/10/2020 10:07 am, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,

A much better idea, although might not be feasible for some, is switching to WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) for add-on building tasks. You might not be able to send a pull request for add-on dev guide as it is a wiki page.

Cheers,

Joseph

*From:* nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Cuong Dang Manh
*Sent:* Saturday, October 17, 2020 2:03 AM
*To:* nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
*Subject:* [nvda-addons] Suggest edit for NVDA Add on Development Guide #addon #addon

Hi all

due to some error while generating pot file, I read, and accomplished setting up add-on development with helpfulness from NVDA community. Now I'd like to give some suggestion for the NVDA Add on Development Guide to help other people who beginner like me

At the Setting Up Your Add-on Development Environment section:

For scons and markdown, consider telling user these could be installed via pip command such as pip install scons, pip install markdown

consider replacing GNU Gettext by python-gettext because program in the given link not work when copy msgfmt.exe and xgettext.exe into add-on directory. Doing this way, I must use other gettext package. using python-gettext, we don't need to copy anything to add-on directory.

I can edit this, but I don't know that I'm allowed to make pull request for things like this or not so I send here, which hope the documentation could be easier to understand

Thanks for your help about my problem in many day.

Cuong

Join nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.