Re: Licensing and pip questions

James Scholes

Looks to me to be prohibitively heavy-weight.
Heavy-weight, perhaps, depending on the size of the dependency tree, how many add-ons a user has with external dependencies, etc. But I'm not sure "prohibitively" is true. What dependencies do you need to include?

The problem with the approach you've suggested is that different add-ons will need to depend on different versions of external packages. So ultimately, a user will end up needing to download and store them regardless. I do think there is room for a dependency management system, and it has been discussed previously. But it is a non-trivial problem.

On 14/09/2020 at 2:48 am, Omer Zak wrote:
On Sun, 2020-09-13 at 23:42 -0700, Joseph Lee wrote:
Regarding licensing question, as some may say that add-ons are
derivatives of NVDA, they must be licensed under GPL 2 as NVDA itself
is licensed under GPL 2. One possible workaround could be stating in
your add-on file headers that the add-on is licensed under GPL, or
perhaps GPL 2 or later. Note that not all dependencies NVDA uses are
licensed under GPL, so one must be careful of that. More info can be
found in NVDA license file (NVDA menu/Help/License).
Thanks for the reference to the license file.
I remember seeing mentions of proprietary plugins/add-ons.
It is my understanding from reading the above that those plugins work
via the exception to GPLv2 which permits use of such plugins under
certain conditions.
So I understand that my own plugin has to be licensed under GPLv2, but
I'll be allowed to license few data files under GPLv3+ (they contain
materials from GPLv3+ licensed projects).

As for including external modules, you must include them manually as
part of your add-on (Resource Monitor comes with Psutil for this very
reason).
Looks to me to be prohibitively heavy-weight.
Did anyone request a NVDA feature which would work like the following:
1. NVDA runs inside a virtualenv.
2. When installed, plugins may request that certain modules be
installed from PyPI via pip.
3. A module in NVDA manages dependencies of modules installed via pip
in behalf of add-ons, and blocks uninstallation of pip-installed
modules unless all add-ons needing them have been uninstalled.