NVDA Skype add-on update released. Windows Skypes are unified!

Doug Lee

Microsoft finally replaced Skype UWP for Windows 10 with the same Skype that we've been calling Skype 8 for Windows Desktop. This was announced many months ago but took a while to happen.

I have released version 2018.04.2 of the Skype add-on for NVDA, at https://www.dlee.org/skype/NVDA/skype.nvda-addon

Apologies for the funny version number btw; I only noticed the "2018" after making several release announcements.

Features:

URL change! The old skype/electron URL will still work for a while, but the above URL is the new location for this add-on. Please update any pointers accordingly.

Works with both Skype for Windows Desktop (Skype 8) and Skype UWP for Windows 10, which is now the same interface.

Fixes review cursor navigation in messages in a chat history list. I did this long ago, but it broke at some point.

A note for anyone switching Skype incarnations in response to this unification:

If you are migrating from Skype for Windows Desktop to the newly identical Skype for Windows 10, check your settings (Ctrl+Comma), because settings from one version may not be automatically applied to the other even though
the interfaces are the same. I recommend paying particular attention to where Skype says your audio will come from and go to.

Enjoy.

--
Doug Lee dgl@... http://www.dlee.org
"Characters live to be noticed. People with character notice how