NVDA focus trap on web components.

Pawel Urbanski

Dear Everyone,
I would like to find out how forms mode is activated. The case is as follows:
1. NVDA's forms mode is set to manual activation.
2. I have a custom react combobox component, which is recognized as such.
3. Items are provided by aria-activedescendant association fom an
unordered list items.
4. When I scroll onto this component using arrow keys forms mode gets
activated automatically where it should be manual.

Any ideas what might be causing it? For example hint: focus event
attached to a incorrect HTML DOM node?
The structure of the component is as such:
aria-activedescendant='ID_OF_ITEM' aria-owns='ID_OF_UL_CONTAINER'
aria-controls='ID_OF_UL_CONTAINER'>... </div>
<ul id='ID_OF_UL_CONTAINER' role='listbox'>
A number of items...
</ul>
Once the forms mode is activated, focus seems to betrapped. I can
escape out of this combobox using tabbing, but cannot do it with the
escape key or using NVDA's insert + space shortcut to get back
tobrowse mode.

Thanks for any feedback... Pawel