Re: Extended Winamp: disable messages like "pause"

I don't care for this stuff.

Shuffle or repeat toggles maybe but play pause and stop, I have lived with these not speaking for ages and well they speak.

I don't mind the volume and eq stuff, or pan controls or repeat or shuffle but play pause stop forward and back are not needed usually anyway.

On 23/03/2020 5:01 am, Roger Stewart wrote:
Personally, I like having the keys speak but then I use a separate speaker for my speech and another sound card for playing audio so I don't get blasted if I need to turn up the playback.  However, I can see that some might not want this so guess the option to have then speak or not would be good if it can be done.
Roger

On 3/22/2020 10:28 AM, Damien Garwood wrote:
Hi Munawar,
To be honest, I might just end up using a hotkey toggle (although it's getting harder and harder to find keys that don't conflict with anything). Any attempts on my part to design a GUI would probably look (not to mention act) like a huge unmanageable mess of tangled up wires or something.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 22/03/2020 02:35 pm, Munawar Bijani wrote:
Sounds good! Don't worry, we've all been there re: feeling like tackling major bugs which should be simple is taking too long.

A good place to start with this is looking into NVDA GUIs with WXPython. In my add-on, I use the json module to save and load settings. That will let you persist settings across NVDA restarts.

On 3/22/2020 9:27 AM, Damien Garwood wrote:
Hi Munawar,
You raise an interesting point. That was a modification I made to an existing addon where I first started learning about Python and writing NVDA addons.
After that I made a few addons of my own, and then my confidence took a huge plunge when I didn't know how to fix a few major bugs, and I pretty much abandoned programming for a while (there's nothing worse than not knowing how to do something essential and then consequently feeling like the most stupid human on earth).
Having said that, I've had a nice long break now, and my optimism has returned. So maybe now's as good a time as any to pick myself up, dust myself off, and start again small. After all, I guess even the best of us have falls at times.
So unless someone beats me to it (it'll take me longer than some of the experts on here, as I still feel very much like a beginner with both Python and NVDA code), I'll look at implementing those options.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 22/03/2020 12:56 pm, Munawar Bijani wrote:
Hi,

I find it rather annoying when NVDA says "pause" and "unpause" and other unnecessary feedback with the Extended Winamp module.

A suggestion here is to allow the user to toggle these messages on and off. This will be particularly helpful for me since I need to turn up the volume sometimes for low-volume audio files and don't like it when NVDA blares "pause!" in my ear.

For now I've commented out these lines in the add-on but native support for it would be nice.

.