Re: Getting a complete list of colors NVDA has on file

James Scholes

No, because colour naming in NVDA isn't based on a simple lookup table. Instead, RGB values are converted to hue, saturation and value. A calculation is then performed to work out the:

* closest shade on the scale from white to black (e.g. white, light grey, black);
* the closest hue (red, orange-yellow, aqua-blue, etc.);
* closest applicable brightness categorisation based on saturation (very dark, dark pale, etc.); and
* if appropriate, the most specific brown hue if the color is within certin parameters.

I suppose you could force NVDA to calculate a name for all 16777216 possible RGB permutations in a brute-force approach and then store the lot. But there would be crossover between colours which were similar enough that they had the same name, making for duplicate entries.

On 10/02/2020 at 6:16 pm, Andy B. wrote:
Hi,
Is there a way to obtain a list of RGB objects representing all the colors NVDA knows about? I need this for the next part of my project.