Re: [nvda-devel] [nvda-addons] Add-on Updater proposal: modify add-on files database to include add-on name/ID for easier comparison and for future-proofing

Hi,
I should have said, "I felt" when talking about the proposal.

From: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2019 9:06 PM
To: nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] [nvda-addons] Add-on Updater proposal: modify add-on files database to include add-on name/ID for easier comparison and for future-proofing

Hi,
Part of the reason why it is a bit difficult to test the pull request as it stands and the complexity of Add-on Updater at the moment is due to add-on name/ID to shorthand lookup. Whenever an add-on is added to community add-ons website, a shorthand is created, which is then added to Add-on Updater (I call this "registration"). This ad-on name/shorthand map is then updated via Add-on Updater whenever the new version of Add-on Updater is released. The proposal here is to store the add-on name alongside shorthands on the server side, rather than letting Add-on Updater carry this map.
In an ideal situation what James is proposing should take place: just create the add-ons metadata database rather than duplicating entries. But I feel that in order to at least test the viability of this approach, some kind of a testbed should be created somewhere.
As for numeric ID's, this will work if the add-on updater client (that's the portion I'm working on) sends a list of installed add-ons alongside NVDA version and Windows version one is using to the add-ons server. At the high level, all the server needs to do is return a map (encoded via JSON at least) that records names of add-ons with updates, along with metadata such as version, URL, and hash for each entry. In short, what we really need is a group of people that will work on the server and transport infrastructure, along with training add-on authors as to how to update their add-on metadata via a user interface - that is, transforming our current add-on files Git repo push/pull mechanism to database transactions.
I know I'm ranting and might be showing my frustration and anger at this point (angry at myself), and after thinking about the below post, I begin to wonder if I am indeed losing touch with reality... Luke and James are right.
P.S. Usually I'm not like this - being in control of a situation and not displaying breakdowns like this. Dear NVDA community, please HELP ME!!!