Re: Making NVDA speak updated line after a keystroke

Pawel Urbanski

Hi, I've implemented this feature give or take in my VS Code add-on
https://github.com/pawelurbanski/nvda-for-vs-code

I compare line offsets,then use NVDA's speech functions to read back content...
I wanted to avoid that annoying case of hearing back all the time the
line from the beginning after every function / variable completion
insertion...

Best,
Pawel

On 30/10/2019, derek riemer <driemer.riemer@...> wrote:
No, not really. It would be nice.

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 8:17 PM Tony Malykh <anton.malykh@...> wrote:

Hello all,

I am working on VSCode extension (kind of IndentNav for VSCode) and I'm
running into the following problem. So I set the keystroke for my
extension to be Alt+DownArrow to jump to the next line with the same
indentation level (keep in mind, this is VSCode shortcut, so no NVDA
modifier). And it works fine in VSCode, and the cursor jumps where I
want it to jump, but the problem is that NVDA doesn't announce anything.
Of course I can press something like NVDA+UpArrow to read current line
again, but it would be really nice if it could happen automatically.

So here is my question (in its general form). Suppose in a program X
there is a keyboard shortcut Y, that performs some action and updates
the state of the program. NVDA however, is not aware of such a
keystroke, so it simply passes it to application X. Is there a generic
way to let NVDA know that shortcut Y changes state and NVDA should wait
for updated state and announce it?

I mean I guess it must be possible to write an add-on specifically for
this case, but this seems to occur pretty often in different
applications, so that it would be good to have a universal solution.

For example, when I was debugging something in Eclipse, the keys to step
over/step into change the current line, and NVDA doesn't announce
anything. Or in Notepad++ when you jump to next bookmark with F2, NVDA
doesn't speak anything either.

Best regards

--Tony

--
Derek Riemer
Improving the world one byte at a time! ⠠⠊⠍⠏⠗⠕⠧⠬ ⠮ ⠸⠺ ⠐⠕ ⠃⠽⠞⠑ ⠁⠞ ⠁

• Personal website: https://derekriemer.com